Advice on first wakeboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
About 10 years ago I tried wakeboarding. I tried with 3 different boards, 3 different instructors, behind 3 different boats and could never get up. I've been enjoying tubing and knee boarding ever since. I decided maybe I should try wakeboarding again. I'm 6' tall, 190 pounds and I'm 41 years old. I'm not looking to do flips or anything crazy. I just want to get up and ride, jump the wake, cut around a bit, etc. The boat is a 2004 Rinker Captiva 232 with tower. I'm sure it's got plenty of power but it won't really be throwing up a big wake.
Can someone recommend a good board please? What brand, model and size would be best for a beginner of my size?
Should I get lace up bindings or something else? I don't even remember what kind of bindings were on the boards I tried before.
Thanks for your help.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That was me 5 years ago. I too, could not get up, and I was using a janky velcro strap wakeboard. This guy next to us had a boat with a tower and said he could get me up in 3 tries. I tried and got up first time. We ended up getting a tower and it has helped everyone in the family. However, after this I ended up learning to slalom ski as I did not like being twisted sideways, it make my back knee hurt - I was 53 at the time. Hang in there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFjgugghSg

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
The board won't make or break you. I've ridden all kinds of stuff, some well suited for me, some not. The differences are pretty subtle. We are real close to the same size -- I lost 20-25 lbs recently to get to 190. I bought a 142 when I weighed 210-215. It worked fine then, it will work fine now.
I'd look at evo.com and the-house.com. Any of the 300-400 combos will be perfectly suitable to learn on. I've been riding for ~25 yrs and still have an "intermediate" board.
Look for something in the 140cm range (138-142) and any basic boot as long as it fits correctly.
Regarding boot fit -- if you're on the border go with the bigger boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.