weight, speed, board length and instability

Status
Not open for further replies.

185StingLX

Cadet
I am 45 yrs old and about 208 lbs. I decided to try wake boarding after buying a board for my daughters to learn on. So, yeah, I am attempting to ride a small (137, I think) ladies (if that even matters) board. The good news is that the boots seem to accommodate quite a range of foot size.

I have gotten to the point where I can get up at a rate of about 60% but coming up is anything but graceful. I can adjust and/or tolerate the hard starting but my real problem is that the instability is causing this activity to be zero fun. I can stay up even over other boat wakes but staying up is all I am doing.

Perhaps I am asking my driver to go too fast in an effort to keep the board high on the water? Or, is the board just too small for my size? I don't know what the speed was exactly but it felt a little faster than my preferred ski-speed.

I am stable on combo skis and can do anything I want on a knee-board. I have never been able to deep-water start on slalom but I have dropped a ski a few times. I want to enjoy boarding and will buy another board if that may help.

I am sure it doesn't matter to my stability issues but may contribute to my hard starts but, I am doing this behind a 3.0L on an 18ft Stingray with 21 inch prop.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you can get up your 8-18 year olds will get up and ace it easily. It's easier on a larger board but at your size you can ride a 137. To learn how to ride just run the boat at 15mph on a GPS (that could be almost any speed on the boat speedometer) and learn how to edge, slide, and run straight within the wake. The wake is wide at that speed. If you need to let go with your back hand after you are up and stable. It is sometimes tough to get used to twisting your body enough to make riding easy. It is much easier than single ski riding though.
Before you get another board get yourself a no stretch rope. It is much better than a ski rope for wake boarding, and for knee boarding.

185StingLX

Cadet
Lower speeds helped a lot! Apparently there just wasn't enough of the board in the water before. I am not quite ready for any air-time just yet but crossing the wake was not a scary task. Attempting to switch the other foot forward resulted in an instant face-plant. I think I was standing too tall while trying the turn. I will work on that on the next trip.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Squat down when you transfer your weight, like you see someone in Tai Chi do. Not deep, but legs definitely bent. Move the handle with your hands towards the new front foot. That will pull you in the right direction and make the board twist naturally. Face plants are common. Apparently more common if you are 40 than 10, or maybe they just hurt more over 40.
Also, try bunny hops. When going straight with the boat, push the back foot down. The board rides up the ramp you just created and will push you up in the air some. You add a bit of jump as you get to the top. You can also try this going off the wake to the outside, if you want.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Change your prop. A 21 pitch with a 3 liter is to much prop for watersports. Go with a 4 blade in a 17 or 19 pitch. It will make a world of difference

Status
Not open for further replies.