Weighting down a bayliner 175

SamuelP63

Seaman Apprentice
I know, wrong boat, wrong motor. I'm sorry.

However, I love my bayliner 175 flight series with the 3.0.

What is the best way to weigh it down for day for cheap. I'd like to add 1000lbs or so. I can buy 80lb cement bags for $5.50 a bag. A 350lbs balast bag with pump is $300(roughly).

Thoughts? The I'm a intermediate wakeboarder at best. Can land a 180 with 3 feet of air. Im looking to finish out the summer with my bayliner before moving up to an early 2000 mastercraft.

Thank you,
Sam.

SamuelP63

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

It's a 2006 with a 4 blade prop. Pulls great out of the hole with a few people on it.

Attachments

• photo229742.jpg
    photo229742.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have you figured out how many bags you need for 1000 lbs? It's 125 bags @80 lbs/bag. Where are you going to put them? The cost is just shy of 700 bucks. Now the important question - What is the capacity on the plate? New 175's have a max payload of 885 lbs. And what is the trailer rated for.?

I don't see how you can move this to the ramp and back home safely or operate the boat safely. You have not thought this through.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Putting 1000# in that boat would not be a smart thing considering the capacity is 885#. For that, you could get two sumo wrestlers to come with you

GA your math is off by a factor of 10. 13 bags would be 1020#. However still over capacity. Not sure I would be putting cement in a boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
12.5 bags. Darn itty bitty decimal point. :doh: Still overweight since you need 3 people/fuel/beer/etc. in addition to the cement.

And where will you put the bags in this and still have room for people? Not to mention the cement getting wet and turning to stone. But before that happens, broken bags from getting wet and crawling over them - Ugh! Bring a trowel.

I still say it hasn't been thought through. Live with it for the rest of the season and get the Mastercraft.

ygbkm.PNG

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You have to know that the cement bags are going to get wet and you'll have wasted any that do. You should know that water ballast becomes neutral when the boat gets swamped and cement does not, so being swamped is a much more serious problem with ballast other than water.

I'd recommend getting a pump and 400# ballast bag and putting it in the bow. If you get a MC next year it is still a good bag to have. They sell that size at a discount if you buy two. Most people with inboards will still add water ballast bags to generate a maximum wake.

SamuelP63

Seaman Apprentice
I agree with everything that's been said, except GA's first comment.

However, I'm simply looking for a cheap alternative. If concrete bags aren't the secret, what do you think would work? Rally, the point of this post is to look for an alternative. I agree the bag is the most efficient method.

Btw, I would wrap the concrete in a trash bag.

Last edited:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used sandbags on my boat for a month or two but it was a big pain in the rear and took up too much room ...ended up spending $80 on a 550 pound ballast bag and have never regretted it...from my personal experience I would highly recommend just forking out the money for a real ballast bag ,its so much easier and you can always put it on your new boat

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
No I bought it on Amazon... I was thinking I gave $80 for both bag and pump but I checked just now and the bag was $80 and the pump was $75 so I gave $155 for both ...

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First let me say slap yourself for wanting to put cement in your boat. Then go buy yourself 750 fat sac for the back of the boat and a 400 for the front of the boat. You don't have to fill the bags a 100 percent either if it's to much weight. Also get yourself a proper non stretch wakeboard rope so you don't hurt yourself. Goodluck