wakeboard prop for chris craft 230 sportdeck

Georgebfp

Cadet
I have a 1999 sport deck. Volvo 5.0 w/ SX outdrive. I have a 14 1/2 x 17 pitch prop on there now. has an ok hole shot. it will turn 4800 rpm. im used to my 88 nautique. I added a perfectpass system and have adjusted it the best I can with the company on the phone talking me thru it. It still cant hold steady speed. Im convinced its prop related. Can anyone make a prop suggestion. Im not really worried about top end speed as we wake surf, wakeboard , Airchair and slow cruise. I usually have enough people in the boat that I don't use ballast.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Please don't surf behind that outdrive. For everything else it can be great.
I would suggest going with a vented four blade prop and finding a prop shop that will let you buy one and try others to make sure you get the best one for your application. Dropping the pitch to 15" will make everything better for your purpose but maybe one prop model or another will be better. Also, maybe a different pitch would be best. I don't know if a five blade would help but, at that pitch, I think a four blade would give the best results.

When using the sterndrive for water sports. it will often be best to keep it trimmed down on starts and then trimming up some, perhaps 25%, to load the stern of the boat. Have your people ballast in the bow during the start and when running, as much as practical. Some type of foil on the leg can help maintain speed better below planing speeds. Tabs can help but they can make the wake less clean for boarding, on some hulls.

Another possibility is to use the PerfectPass in RPM mode. It will do less searching and not overspeed like it does in speed mode.

Boarding and Airchair really need a consistent speed to enjoy so I hope you get it sorted. It won't be as easy as that Nautique because of the drive and hull design but it can become very good.

Georgebfp

Cadet
Thanks for the response. When I say wake surfing the kids are usually about 20 ft back. That's where the wake jacks up behind my boat. I use electric trim tabs to start out. I got spoiled with perfect pass on the nautique. Wake boarding and airchair do require consistent speed because the wake changes. I ordered a 15 pitch prop. I'll see how it does. I have a speed prop I'll sell to recoup some $$. Just hope it doesn't rain this weekend.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One benefit of the lower pitch prop is that the engine is at higher RPM all the time. That makes it less affected by surge as it is further into the torque curve. By itself that should help even the speed a bit.

Surfing on a long line can be lots of fun. :D My wife loves her airchair. She just floats along at 15 mph and enjoys the ride in any water condition.