Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer wheel bearing. How the HECK do I get this cotter pin out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer wheel bearing. How the HECK do I get this cotter pin out?

It is recessed inside the wheel assembly about 2 inches. I don't know how I can reach it to get it out.

There isn't much space outside of the castle nut. if I pried it out I don't know how I would get one back in.

any ideas?

Re: Trailer wheel bearing. How the HECK do I get this cotter pin out?

Use a side cutter, straigten the end out as much as possible then grab the other end and pry it out. or use a small punch and pry it out.
    although it looks well greased.

Comment

Remove the bearing buddy wanna be and you will have a clear grasp of the situation.
      Colbyt

Comment

Colbyt nice catch. didn't see that.

Comment

The buddy bearing style hub needs to be removed. Use a rubber mallet and carefully knock off the buddy bearing. I take that the snap ring was removed from the buddy bearing and "guts" inside it came out as well. No big deal, just put it back together and re-install where it was.
          Current boat: 2011 Tahoe 216WT 5.0 MPI (CAT) / Alpha 1.47:1 gear ratio / 17p SS prop. /Monster Tower

Former boats: 1969 Glasspar, 1978 Crestliner and 1997 Starcraft 1810SS

Comment

I'm not really sure what you guys are referring to as the "buddy bearing". I'm assuming it is a tube extension that goes on the hub assembly and hold the spring and grease zert fittings in place? If so I didn't know it was removable, so I replaced the bearings with it in place. It was pretty difficult to get the cotter pins in and out but after some frustrations I was able to, although they got pretty tore up.

Comment

I would be pretty amazed if you were able to properly do everything with the bearing buddy body in place. How were you able to replace the races with the bearing buddy in place?
              1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
              Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
              Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
              "Common sense is not very common"
              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

The Bearing Buddy replaced the original dust cap.
                It just Pries off and is Tapped back on with a soft mallet the same as any dust cap.
                Adjusting the Castle Nut must have been a real exercise with the body of the BB still on. I'm impressed!
                Bill, Lorain Ohio

Comment

I was unable to replace the races, only the bearings.

guess I'll redo it tomorrow, now that I know it can be knocked off.

Comment

Yep, knock em off, sit back in awe of a the new found room you have around that nut to work.
                    Brian
                    Northern Colorado

Ex-Subaru Master Tech - And yes, I know.. Cars and boats are different.. Trust me.. I know..

Wheelin and dealin my way into boats. It is amazing what you can find on Craig's List

"on the market" 1984 Bayliner Capri 16' with Volvo Penta AQ125A/270 - Lovingly named the "wishful Drinker

New to me.. 1989 Chris Craft Tara Open Bow. Mercruiser 140 I/O Alpha One (Engine: A432651 Drive: A391967)

Comment

Originally posted by projo198 View Post
                      I was unable to replace the races, only the bearings.

guess I'll redo it tomorrow, now that I know it can be knocked off.
                      Not intending any insult here. You do know there are bearing on the back side of the hub also. To properly repack those you will need new grease seals and they generally can't be reused.

I do think a redo and a secure cotter pin would be in your best interest.
                      Colbyt

Comment

Originally posted by colbyt View Post
                        Not intending any insult here. You do know there are bearing on the back side of the hub also. To properly repack those you will need new grease seals and they generally can't be reused.

I do think a redo and a secure cotter pin would be in your best interest.
                        Yes I replaced both bearings, the seal was completely shot and needed replacing.

Comment

WOW I'm impressed..... that's like rebuilding an engine through the tail pipe... so you goofed on the bearing buddy... big deal... CONGRATS of getting the cotter pin out and in!!!!

You should be able to handle the redo with your eyes closed!
                          Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
                          But, where are the reevets?
                          1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                          1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                          1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                          90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                          Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                          sigpic

Comment

Well I got it all done. Amazing how faster that job is without the buddy in place lol..

Replaced both racers and was even able to re-use the new grease seal.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeonthewater View Post
                              WOW I'm impressed..... that's like rebuilding an engine through the tail pipe... so you goofed on the bearing buddy... big deal... CONGRATS of getting the cotter pin out and in!!!!

You should be able to handle the redo with your eyes closed!
                              Ha ha thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X