Most USEFUL Trailer Accessory? Including Homemade!

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Most USEFUL Trailer Accessory? Including Homemade!

Swing away hitch sure save a whack on the shin bone

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

A slip so I didn't have to bother with trailering.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

LED lights. Got tired of changing bulbs. I know what your thinking and I had waterproof housings and never popped a bulb. They would just blow the filaments. I even had the glass globe fall out of the base on one.

DLH

Alan Calfer

Cadet

That's a great idea, how long did it take you put together?

IowaCraig

Cadet

My Ford truck to pull it and the boat to the lake. :rolleyes:

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not too sure if I have one specific "Most USEFUL" item.

Many DIY upgrades to my combo are:
- Electric brakes on single axle trailer. Must have when towing with light weight Tow Vehicle.
- Re-position trailer axle "under" leaf springs - to raise trailer 4" higher.
- Trailer Guides (built them myself).
- Transom saver (built it myself).
- Spare tire mounting kit
- Spare tire
- Battery switch on the boat's battery post (to stop battery from draining over time).
- Manual Tilt/Trim switch on motor to allow me to fit transom saver bar into position - while holding the transom bar into position.
- Self adjusting Smart Tabs SX (to lift rear of boat up) - to bring boat faster to plain.
- LED light assemblies with LED Marker lights (LED takes water exposure abuse - especially cold water).
- Two different size props. The 4-blade for tubing and the 3-blade for long distance cruising. Both props (and tools) with my boat and one is used for spare.

IMO, all these items are important - for 17" Bayliner boat & Capri trailer combo.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Trailex_Jack-1.jpg

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In regards to Howardsterndrives trailer jack I recently had mine go out and went to harbor freight and bought the next model up that has two wheels and is rated for an extra 500 lbs. I love it. Bolted on easy and is so much smoother and easier to handle than my single wheel original. Also bought the harbor freight spare tire relocater to change the tire from right in front of where my boat sits on the trailer to the front side of the trailer. 2 best things I've done so far. Next will be trailer guide posts so the boat doesn't sway. Read another thread about home made ones that I'll do.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Unless of course he's able to do that in about 18" of water!

I bet he's smart enough to not be loading that boat in only 18" of water. There are some places that can handle boats larger than big jons ... :lol:

And if I had more than 18" of water and a pier at the end of my road I wouldn't need a catwalk either! But then I never have to wait or deal with idiots either! :rolleyes:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

IMO trailer jacks, spare tire and mount aren't accessories they are essentials. Just like a winch/post and bow stop.

I can live w/o guild ons. New trailer absolutely needs a transom saver so it fits in with winch/post/bow stop. Trailer doesn't have bunks so don't need spray but I can see were that would be very useful for those that do.

Launch regularly at a ramp with no pier and is very shallow so still have to say #1 for me is a catwalk. #2 if and when I can afford one will be a power winch.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

A pair of those little yellow tennis balls mounted on whip antennas with magnets on their bases to assist lining up truck and trailer.

Trailer Alignment.jpg

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Waders.

pckeen

Commander

While all of the above answers are really quite illuminating. I have to go with....

A boat!

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LED lights. Got tired of changing bulbs. I know what your thinking and I had waterproof housings and never popped a bulb. They would just blow the filaments. I even had the glass globe fall out of the base on one.

DLH

Totally agree! I went through a 9 pack of bulbs in one season, and got really sick of it.

Like many, I enjoy a cold frosty adult beverage or to on the lake. A burned out trailer light is a dumb reason to get pulled over or a DUI, especially since you look at a beer and you are over the legal limit.

The LEDs are so bright and clear, there is no comparison. I returned the "submersible" ones to Walmart and left with LEDs for about $20.

Next on the list is a swing away tongue.