Towing with cover on pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Towing with cover on pontoon

Typically off. I don't think I've seen a pontoon cover that was meant for trailering. If it is a one time trip, then maybe consider having the boat shrink wrapped (low, not peaked)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Should boat cover be on or off when towing pontoon cross country?

I dont think it matters much as long as you remove anything "breakable" .. as in your wind screen.

Make sure your canvas is secure if you have any and tie it down so it does not blow up like a balloon .. ;)

YD.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure the cover you have is "trailerable". If it is not it will get ruined from the winds of high speed travel. If it is trailerable, ensure you everything is in place as it should be, and hit the road. For record, most universal covers and many mooring covers are not considered trailerable by their manufacturers. And even with a trailerable cover, it doesn't hurt to throw a few extra straps over it for very long distances, such as across the country.

Skidshoe

Recruit

Thanks for the advice folks ( I've been told that 2 heads are better than 1, as long as they're not on the same shoulder.) This is my 1st boat, it will be a 1 time xcntry tow and I have this premonition of my cover departing the boat and inveloping some car or 18 wheeler following me at 70 mph. Any thoughts as to the best bug gut remover from pleather?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I would be REALLY hesitant to tow a pontoon with a cover on. No matter what, there are going to be air leaks at the front of the pontoon, and that is going to cause the cover to turn in to a billowing parachute. It WILL eventually fail.

Foristoon

Cadet
Old thread but relevant enough to avoid starting a new one...

I just got a new cover for my 20' G3 pontoon. Says it is a towable cover. The one I have now came with the boat and is the snap on style, and I know that can't be towed. The new one has straps to the trailer (24 in total, I got extra). This one also comes down and covers the deck entirely, whereas the snap on cover just covers the furniture leaving the front exposed. I'm hoping the slope of the cover will help offset the drag a bit as well as helping protect the currently exposed bits of the deck.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of threads here and elsewhere, and there seems to be quite a split between YES, you can tow with a towable cover, and NO you can't. I'm not super-experienced with the boat yet so I don't quite understand why so many people advise against towing with the cover on, especially if it is considered a 'towable cover'. Thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
think of driving with a parachute behind you.......

even with a "towable" cover they catch air...then they flap around, beat up the boat, wreck the cover and make your fuel economy go to hell.

Foristoon

Cadet
I can picture that... so there's no real way to get it strapped down enough that the wind won't get under it? Even if I get all 24 straps down? I'm not doubting you, just genuinely wondering.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old thread but relevant enough to avoid starting a new one...

Closed since our rules don't mean anything to you. If you see that a thread is old, don't reply - Start a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.