Plasti Dip Trailer Rims

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used Plasti Dip (aerosol cans) on my trailer rims. They were chrome and in bad shape. Rust in some spots and overall not looking good. They turned out great! Product is available at Home Depot and Lowes. But only in black or white. U can get a variety of colors and finishes from www.Dipyourcar.com. I started with 3 coats of gunmetal gray since it sticks really well to chrome. Then 3 coats of white. Then 2 coats of Pearlizer. This can all be done without taking them off the trailer. I painted the hub and lug nuts as well. The cool part is if you need to remove the rim it's easy to peel off the dip from the studs. It also protects everything from saltwater. When your tired of the color just peel off and do it over. Also go to YouTube and search Plasti Dip and you will find how to videos.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plasti Dip Trailer Rims

It actually looks good. Are you very sure that the plastic coat won't allow moisture to stay traped at the metal and rust it out further? If it can keep the weather out and keep the metal clean and dry, it could work... Have you thought about powder coating the rims...?

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If its done right. Only light coats. It seals very well. Water or moisture cannot get under the Plasti dip. I hadn't thought about powder coating. But since this method only costs around $10-15 total for all three wheels and its completely reversible. Just peel off when you want change colors. Also, they've been using this stuff on car bodies, trim and wheels for a couple of years with no problems. It's amazing stuff. Permanently flexible durable and easy to apply. Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate others comments as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

grease leaking out of the bearing buddy protects my rim.

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

grease leaking out of the bearing buddy protects my rim.
Thats funny :lol: But, all I really wanted to do was try something different without having to buy new rims.
It's more cosmetic then protection. Although it does keep the saltwater out and that's a plus.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Although it does keep the saltwater out and that's a plus.

Take some 90 day pictures. Seriously, if it's easy to peel it off it's easy to compromise in normal usage ... :rolleyes:

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Absolutely, I will keep everyone posted on the integrity of the product. It has held up well on cars. So, I'll keep you posted on the rims in saltwater.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Absolutely, I will keep everyone posted on the integrity of the product. It has held up well on cars. So, I'll keep you posted on the rims in saltwater.

Please do. I can testify that PlastiDip holds up very well on automotive trims and such. Love to hear how it holds up on your saltwater-dunked rims.

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Please do. I can testify that PlastiDip holds up very well on automotive trims and such. Love to hear how it holds up on your saltwater-dunked rims.

Thanks algraz! I agree, it holds extremely well on rims. Regardless of saltwater or not. Will keep all posted.p

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Galvanized Rims. Saltwater use only. 16 years later, no rust. ;)

IowaCraig

Cadet

Wonder how this stuff would work on the trailer itself? I have new rims on mine, but the trailer itself has a a few spots of light surface rust from rock chips and the paint is kinda faided. Thinking this might be a good way to spruce it up a bit?

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It should work well on the trailer too. Thinking about doing mine as well. Search Plasti Dip on you tube to get more info

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to be doing my Geo Tracker with this stuff! And I actually have a Plasti-Dip dealership right near me which has all of the colors.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you remove the rim (or crawl underneath) to do the backside of the rims?

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can do it without taking the rims off. Just use index cards placed around the rim between the rim and tire. When you're finished remove the index cards and you're done. Type Plasti Dip on YouTube for video how too's

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can do it without taking the rims off. Just use index cards placed around the rim between the rim and tire. When you're finished remove the index cards and you're done. Type Plasti Dip on YouTube for video how too's
How do playing cards on the tire help you get to the backside of the rim? I'm talking about the part that doesn't face out - did you coat that?

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do playing cards on the tire help you get to the backside of the rim? I'm talking about the part that doesn't face out - did you coat that?

I would imagine he just jambed the index cards between the rim and tire to mask the tire. So that would be a no.

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes! I covered the back. But I did remove the rim from trailer. With Plasti Dip. You don't have to mask it off. Because it wont stick to rubber. It just makes it a little easier and eliminates having to remove the Plasti Dip from the rubber tire area. As long as you put enough coats it'll peal off the tire easily. If you need to coat the back then it's easier if you remove the rim from the trailer. But it's not necessary. It can be done without removing the rim. If you want extra protection on the inside then remove the rim and use the index card method(not playing cards) on both sides starting with the inside. Although not recommended playing cards might work.