Plasti Dip Trailer Rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasti Dip Trailer Rims

I used Plasti Dip (aerosol cans) on my trailer rims. They were chrome and in bad shape. Rust in some spots and overall not looking good. They turned out great! Product is available at Home Depot and Lowes. But only in black or white. U can get a variety of colors and finishes from www.Dipyourcar.com. I started with 3 coats of gunmetal gray since it sticks really well to chrome. Then 3 coats of white. Then 2 coats of Pearlizer. This can all be done without taking them off the trailer. I painted the hub and lug nuts as well. The cool part is if you need to remove the rim it's easy to peel off the dip from the studs. It also protects everything from saltwater. When your tired of the color just peel off and do it over. Also go to YouTube and search Plasti Dip and you will find how to videos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	7183108Click image for larger version

Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	7183109Click image for larger version

Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	7183110
    Attached Files
    sigpic

1998 Sea Ray 190 4.3EFI Digital Ignition

Re: Plasti Dip Trailer Rims

It actually looks good. Are you very sure that the plastic coat won't allow moisture to stay traped at the metal and rust it out further? If it can keep the weather out and keep the metal clean and dry, it could work... Have you thought about powder coating the rims...?
    Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
    Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
    '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
    Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

Comment

If its done right. Only light coats. It seals very well. Water or moisture cannot get under the Plasti dip. I hadn't thought about powder coating. But since this method only costs around $10-15 total for all three wheels and its completely reversible. Just peel off when you want change colors. Also, they've been using this stuff on car bodies, trim and wheels for a couple of years with no problems. It's amazing stuff. Permanently flexible durable and easy to apply. Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate others comments as well.
      sigpic

Comment

grease leaking out of the bearing buddy protects my rim.
        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
        "Common sense is not very common"
        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
          Thats funny But, all I really wanted to do was try something different without having to buy new rims.
          It's more cosmetic then protection. Although it does keep the saltwater out and that's a plus.
          sigpic

Comment

Although it does keep the saltwater out and that's a plus.

Take some 90 day pictures. Seriously, if it's easy to peel it off it's easy to compromise in normal usage ...

Comment

Absolutely, I will keep everyone posted on the integrity of the product. It has held up well on cars. So, I'll keep you posted on the rims in saltwater.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
                You too?
                Work sucks.... Lets go boating!

1986 Century Bronco 180 3.0L Mercruiser / Alpha One
                1983 Regal Ambassador 245XL 260HP Mercruiser / Alpha One

Comment

Originally posted by dtescher View Post
                  Absolutely, I will keep everyone posted on the integrity of the product. It has held up well on cars. So, I'll keep you posted on the rims in saltwater.
                  Please do. I can testify that PlastiDip holds up very well on automotive trims and such. Love to hear how it holds up on your saltwater-dunked rims.
                  San Diego, CA "The 619"

2000 Sea Hunt Triton 172 CC, 2014 Mercury OptiMax 125

"It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission" -Colin Powell, et.al.

Comment

Originally posted by ajgraz View Post
                    Please do. I can testify that PlastiDip holds up very well on automotive trims and such. Love to hear how it holds up on your saltwater-dunked rims.
                    Thanks algraz! I agree, it holds extremely well on rims. Regardless of saltwater or not. Will keep all posted.p
                    sigpic

Comment

Galvanized Rims. Saltwater use only. 16 years later, no rust.

Comment

Wonder how this stuff would work on the trailer itself? I have new rims on mine, but the trailer itself has a a few spots of light surface rust from rock chips and the paint is kinda faided. Thinking this might be a good way to spruce it up a bit?

Comment

It should work well on the trailer too. Thinking about doing mine as well. Search Plasti Dip on you tube to get more info
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to be doing my Geo Tracker with this stuff! And I actually have a Plasti-Dip dealership right near me which has all of the colors.

Comment

Did you remove the rim (or crawl underneath) to do the backside of the rims?
                              Dan
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X