How to weigh my boat?

agallant80

Commander
So can I just pull up to a highway weight station or something and put it on the scales? Do I take it off of the hitch or pull the whole rig on?

Re: How to weigh my boat?

You can usually go to a truck stop and have it done. Park it on the scale, unhitch from vehicle, drive said vehicle off scale, weigh the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

STAY AWAY from any highway weigh station.... those are police .... anything wrong and you can be ticketed.....

The correct way to do it at a truck stop is:
pull onto the scale and push the button. They will ask you "first weigh or re-weigh?" tell them "first weigh". Give them any number you can remember for a truck number and weigh the whole rig. Then drop the boat in the lot and go back to weigh just the tow vehicle. This time tell them "re-weigh" ...... it is generally free to $2 more for the re-weigh. After that some simple math will tell you everything you need to know....

ps when pulling on the first time make sure that your trailer tires are not on the same pad as your rear vehicle tires... preferably if you can, have your front tires on a third pad..... this will let you know tongue weight rear axle weight and steer axle weight.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

paranoid no... experienced yes...... being on a dot scale is like being pulled over..... They collect a paycheck for writing tickets

matt167

Captain

You can also just use a junkyard if it's not busy. Let them know whats up and they will help you out if they are decent.

64osby

Admiral

Scrap yards and gravel pits work great too. The ones close to me are no charge, just get out of the way when the gravel trucks are running.:eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Just weighed my trailer at a recycle place we do business with . No charge :joyous: I will bring it back with the boat on and rigged for total ..

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep we weight things for people all the time at our recycling facility. Just call ahead and be patient when you do it and its no problem !!

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

City dumps also often have weigh stations.