Where can I buy emery cloth to clean spindles?

Florida

Seaman
I have some rusty spindles to clean and I can't find emery cloth. It there another name or a comparable product? Also, can I use it to clean the area of the spindle where the seal rides?

Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Where can I buy emery cloth to clean spindles?

ANY auto parts store will have it... sometimes called crocus cloth

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

ANY hardware store will have it. Lowes, menards, home depot, ace, etc... Also as mentioned above, any automotive store (oreillys, napa, checker, etc...)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well it must depend on the area you live in, because I also tried to buy some and a lot of the auto parts places didn't even know what I was talking about. I finally found some at our NAPA dealer. They had two types, medium and fine... And it was about $3 dollars a sheet...

UncleWillie

Captain

Well it must depend on the area you live in...

Strange! I searched the HD link above, and every store within 50 miles of me has at least as dozen in stock.
Changed the search to the Atlanta area and not a single store has any! :confused:

I any event, a strip of Wet/Dry Sandpaper will do the job also.
It might take more strips but you will be done before you could drive to get the Emery Cloth.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why not just use 600 wet/dry sand paper with water on the seal area. The rest of the spindle, you can use anything you want really.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well it must depend on the area you live in, because I also tried to buy some and a lot of the auto parts places didn't even know what I was talking about. I finally found some at our NAPA dealer. They had two types, medium and fine... And it was about $3 dollars a sheet...

I suspect that even though the kid behind the counter had no clue the store likely still had a few rolls and if they didn't they surely could have ordered it for ya.

If I had a dollar for every time I taught the parts guy something new I'd have a LOT of dollars

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1" sanding belts make great 'emery cloth'. Problem is, most of it is too coarse, but if you have round, rusty stuff, it works fast!

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should find it in the plumbing area of the hardware store. Its used by some folks for cleaning copper pipe before soldering.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

You should find it in the plumbing area of the hardware store. Its used by some folks for cleaning copper pipe before soldering.

I was going to post the same thing, check at a local Ace, that is where I buy mine.