Nylon cover for trailer bunks ?

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
I have access to 5/8" thick Nylon strips 2" to 2 1/2" wide x 12 feet long and I'm thinking of screwing them on top of my already carpet wrapped bunks. The already have recessed mounting holes.
1022trl1.jpg
The bunks are 2x6 mounted on end.
I live 1/2 a mile from 5 boat ramps in a next door to Corp of Engineers park and never get over 20mph.

I have not used rear tie downs except when travel on regular roads.
And I only have one center mounted stern eye mount and it is high on the top. memorial day 002.jpg

I'm wondering if anybody has done this and just how slick they would be ?

I cannot think of why this would harm the hull. smallpix.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Nylon cover for trailer bunks ?

might work... I'm actually planning an experiment with cut pieces of milk cartons or other poly jugs wrapped and stapled under the bunks... might even look ok if I do it neatly

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the commercially available bunk runners are HDPE or UHMWPE. milk jugs are LDPE. all Poly ethylene, just different densities. HDPE is also the same stuff they make plastic decking out of.

Nylon is more abrasive and its hygroscopic (it absorbs water). however for use of bunk covers it may work, however it may be better suited for another use. however if its free, try it.

I would highly recommend using the tiedowns.

64osby

Admiral

Don't know how durable the nylon would be over time. Would the surface get rough and wear the gelcoat. Might be fine to start with but over time sand and dirt are bound to scratch the surface of the nylon IMO.

tpenfield

Staff member

The only thing that might be harmful to the hull is if the boat were to slide off the trailer while on the ramp. With full length nylon strips there will not be any significant friction holding the boat.

So, that is one of the pluses of carpeted bunks. . . Often nylon strips are used at the tail end of the bunks to offer a slick surface while loading/unloading.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I was afraid the short sections of nylon would be too high and become a pressure point on the hull-I do not want that.
When loading & unloading the stern of the boat is floating above the rear of the bunks and the front 1/3rd of the hull drags along the carpet. I usually back down the ramp and push the boat a couple feet back before I climb in.I have drum rear brakes and I don't drive far enough on the trip to dry them out completely. The ramps are not very steep thus it is shallow. Maybe I should get a 4 ft extention on trailer hitch? lol:rolleyes:

UncleWillie

Captain

The only thing that might be harmful to the hull is if the boat were to slide off the trailer while on the ramp. With full length nylon strips there will not be any significant friction holding the boat...

That is the primary reason to NEVER detach the Bow Eye until you are fully prepared for the boat to come off of the trailer.
Carpet, Rollers, Plastic runners makes no difference.

Always assume the trailer is armed, loaded and ready to discharge (the boat) at all times.
Keep the safety on until you are safely pointed at the dock.

-----------------------
dock
(dok) n.
1. The area of water between two piers or alongside a pier that receives a ship for loading, unloading, or repairs.

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

I just put 3-1/2 inch x 10 foot, 1/2 inch thick HDPE runners on top of the bunks on my trailer. The bunks are 10 ft treated 2x4 lumber. I stripped off the nearly rotten carpet and put the HDPE directly on the wood with rustproof deck screws countersunk about a quarter inch deep. The boat is a Xpress 1650VJ. Looking forward to trying out the new slicks, if the weather ever warms up. Coldest late February in recent memory.