Titling a trailer in VA without title

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Titling a trailer in VA without title

Hi, how did you get your title? i called them and was told they don't title trailers without a title before 1980s?

The process for titling a trailer in VA that does not have a title made it more trouble than it was worth to buy the boat mentioned. I ended up getting a different boat that had a trailer that was already titled in VA.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer

hey, lucky me. I bought a Venture trailer and found the VIN number. So, what do i do next to get a title? I will ask DMV in VA tomorrow, but so excited and cannot wait,

ib18

Chief Petty Officer

dead end! neither MD DMV nor VA DMV is willing to share the last registered owner of the boat trailer information. Maybe I can pay online service to get a VIN history report and proceed that way. what do you think?

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having this information (the last registered owner) isn't really the end of the road anyway. You have to get them to cooperate in providing the paperwork to you to request a duplicate title. I was never able to get the former owners of my boat and trailer to do so.

I am afraid that you will find, just as I did, that you will never get through the red tape in VA. Look a few posts above and you will see my post on how I handled it. The only drawback for me is that I kind of feel guilty that the sales tax was never realized by the state that the boat is housed in. Honestly though, the state makes it that way.

I see that you mentioned that you called someone and they said nothing before the 80's. Was that the place in Maine that you called? If you have a VIN I would imagine they would move forward not 100% sure though. You may be able to tell them the year is unknown.

Also, if you know the manufacturer, try calling them for a certificate of origin. The DMV said they would honor that if I recall correctly. When I called Load Rite, they didn't keep records for that long but you may get lucky.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the idea of certificate of origin. I was able to email both VA and MD's DMV to email me forms to search for the boat trailer title for the last registered owner. I only need to pay $9 for MD and $8 for VA to mail to them to do the search for the last registered owner.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem. Good luck on the rest of it. I had a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from who never registered it. I got the the last registered owner's information from the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, sent a certified letter to their former address, waited for thirty days to verify that they would make no claim on the boat, got no response and then the DGIF allowed me to register the boat. They suggested that I follow that process at DMV for the trailer but they also said, they did not know if it would work.

When I went to the local DMV with all of the same exact paperwork they said to fill out the request for a duplicate title and send to DMV office in Richmond. I also had to write to the original owner's bank which is now out of business to have them fill out a notarized document that stated that their was no lien on the boat or trailer. When Richmond DMV got it, they rejected my request, they said they needed a expired registration from the person that last registered the boat and there was no way around it unless the trailer was home made which it is isn't. So unless something has changed or I just got a non-cooperative DMV clerk, having the info of the former owner will get you nowhere.

If this sounds like a nightmare, its because it was.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just hoping to save you some time and or heartache. I hope it goes differently for you.