PVC for Bunk Skids?

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was thinking about using thin wall thickness PVC sewer pipe to cover my trailer bunks. Should be easy to saw out a section and use a hot air gun to flaten and bend over the sides of the board and screw in the side of the bunk board.

Passed the idea by a buddy and he thinks PVC is too hard and would wear down the gel.

Sure would be an inexpensive way to make a slick bunk surface.

Any thoughts?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: PVC for Bunk Skids?

Plastic runners and fiberglass are a bad combination.
Once a little grit gets pressed into the plastic, you have a nice 8ft sanding pad.:eek:

Bunk lube works wonders.
I launch an 18 footer and do not even need to put the bunks in the water.:D
Be careful! NEVER unhook the bow strap until you are fully prepared to launch.
More than one person has dry docked the boat onto the concrete of the ramp! :eek:

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Willie,

Hear what you are saying. Do the currently offered polyethylene and PTFE plastics do the same? I use carpet but was wonder if grit would inbed in it and do the same. Last year, I switched from rollers to bunks.
I have used store brand silicone spray and have had good luck loading and unloading with only submerging the last foot of bunks.
Mike

UncleWillie

Captain

If you believe the marketing guys, they advertise that they are OK for fiberglass.
How would you know?
The scratching would be under the bunk pads while it was on the trailer, and underwater while floating.
Out of sight, Out of mind?

At least in the carpeting the grit has someplace to go.
A stiff brush on the carpeting would help clean it up now and then.

I add a little extra spray every third or so launches. Not that big of an issue.
I would be hesitant, and would not expext any better performance than the silicon.

UncleWillie

Captain

If you believe the marketing guys, they advertise that they are OK for fiberglass.
How would you know?
The scratching would be under the bunk pads while it was on the trailer, and underwater while floating.
Out of sight, Out of mind?

At least in the carpeting the grit has someplace to go.
A stiff brush on the carpeting would help clean it up now and then.

I add a little extra spray every third or so launches. Not that big of an issue.
I would be hesitant, and would not expect any better performance than the silicon.

More Opinions Here.

Check the "Similar Threads" Section at the bottom of this page.