Please help : what boat can I tow with my Honda CR-V

gam101

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Please help : what boat can I tow with my Honda CR-V

Ahh.....the trailer info. puzzle too has been resolved!!!

And yes, I will certainly look into installing a transmission cooler.

Thank you Mr.TerryMSU!

In fact, thank you ALL contributors! :)

Here are a few ideas...
1. As far as getting it home from the CL seller, as a buddy to help you pull it home. BTW, for my first boat, a friend pulled it home behind a new generation VW bug. I did not have a trailer hitch yet (or rent a tow vehicle.)

2. The windshield will really increase the drag at speed, making it harder to pull.

3. Consider getting a transmission cooler.

TerryMSU

pesky

Recruit

I just towed my 18 ft Starcraft Offshore I/O with my 2005 CRV and was pleasantly surprised how much power she had. The boat/motor is 1600llbs not including trailer and she pulled it fine and in and out of the launch was easy, no hesitation or slippage. No loss of speed or power going up some big hills and over bridges either. Just be prepared to fill up more frequently, she really sucks gas with the boat behind her. I would usually get 400-425km on a tank of gas, with the boat that dropped to 300km.

I also owned the previous generation CRV and agree they were pretty gutless and I wouldn't recommend them for towing a boat really.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I just towed my 18 ft Starcraft Offshore I/O with my 2005 CRV and was pleasantly surprised how much power she had. The boat/motor is 1600llbs not including trailer and she pulled it fine and in and out of the launch was easy, no hesitation or slippage. No loss of speed or power going up some big hills and over bridges either. Just be prepared to fill up more frequently, she really sucks gas with the boat behind her. I would usually get 400-425km on a tank of gas, with the boat that dropped to 300km.

I also owned the previous generation CRV and agree they were pretty gutless and I wouldn't recommend them for towing a boat really.

Man you are one ballsy guy.

bullcity101

Seaman

I think your options would expand expentionally if you dropped the windsheild. the carolina skiff's (or somehing like it) like the j14, are fairly inexpensive and great to either cruise or fish out of. I don't think your CR-V would have any problems pulling the J-14 with the center console and a 30-40hp on it.

I love my little skiff. I have 4 people out on it run around the lake all day on 6 gallons of gas and great to fish out of.
just my .02 cents. If you could somehow convince the admiral that a windshield is not that important (i know probably out of the questions) In my experience, windshields on boats are kinda useless unless out on the bay with some chop and wind to keep the spray outta your face. It'll still be windy either way.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Ah, the iboats overthink. Seems like everyone has overlooked the most important fact--it's a half-mile tow.

Forget the windshield drag.*

Forget the transmission cooler

Forget the brakes (save weight and $$). Small boats don't need them.

If the weight in the car is an issue, make two trips. Same with gear in the boat.

Lighten the tongue weight some.

Drive carefully.

In a clear area by yourself, test the braking limitations so you know how to space yourself.

Unless the ramp is unusually steep it shouldn't be a factor.

If no windshield is a deal breaker, get a 14' tinny with a windshield. But let your wife know that she has severely compromised usable space in a boat that small. Or just take the girlfriend instead.

Remember what those numbers in the owner's manual are for. First, they are set below tested standards b/c they know people will go over. (Does anyone weigh their gear, and especially passengers? Try asking the wife and daughters to register at the scales before entering the vehicle. Right.) Second they are for highway worst case conditions. Third they are for unskilled drivers. Use that margin to your advantage.

it's not rocket surgery. Put away the coefficient charts, slide rule and pocket protector and go boating!

*If I were ever going to use a "smiley" it would be the face-smack one here. Seriously.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I In my experience, windshields on boats are kinda useless unless out on the bay with some chop and wind to keep the spray outta your face. It'll still be windy either way.

Windshields are great. Best case scenario is if you hit a bunch of cris crossing waves on a calm day and your boat does not have a dry ride, the windshield will do what you want it to. Worst case on even a boat with a dry ride, like my sig boat, out on a large bay, with high winds you will want something to stop the spray and wind especially if you have sleaves or pants on. The family or friends will thank you too. The windshield on my car is kinda useless unless i'm driving somewere or it's raining.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Windshields are great.

Agreed. As someone without a windshield, that often goes fishing in the middle of winter right before a mini-storm (cause it drives the striper NUTS) it sure would be nice.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I love my windshileds, too, but their utility decreases with the size of the boat for a number of reasons, including increased exposure to the elements in a small boat as well as not likely to be out in the bad stuff. Another factor is one's use, winter nights v. summer daze...

Here, we are confined to a boat that can be towed by a CRV. The tail is already wagging the dog somewhat by his boat shopping based on a car he hasn't bought yet, then looking for a windshield with a boat under it rather than the other way around.

For some the option is to buy a beater for towing. But remember, it's a half mile.

BTW I've started using clear safety glasses for winter night running, to keep the cold wind off my eyeballs especially in small boats or those with tinted windshields. PLus I sometimes have sand or marsh grass blowing back at me.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

BTW I've started using clear safety glasses for winter night running, to keep the cold wind off my eyeballs especially in small boats or those with tinted windshields. PLus I sometimes have sand or marsh grass blowing back at me.

Yeah me too. I wear a full face mask with safety glasses when I'm out in the cold. The crosswinds will make you feel as if you dont have a windshield at all.

nebocreek

Recruit

I've been putting together the exact same scenario for over a year...Recently I've had some BAD results. I'd like to let you know about it and see if anyone can comment on the problem too.

I have an '06 CR-V that I've been towing and launching a 14' Gregor Aluminum with for a year. About 2 months ago I traded out the Gregor for a 2000 Ranger R61 which NADA weighs at under 1000 pounds. I assumed that since the boat and motor are all considered in valuing the boat and there isn't a way to look at them separately that this weight includes them too but I'm not certain.

Anyway, I've had no problem towing or launching until my last trip. My dad backed the CR-V down the ramp, for me to load the boat and then turned the car off. As soon as I started the V I had a check engine light.

After much pain and suffering I'm now into the local Honda dealership (I know...) about $600 with another $277 +tax to go this week. The codes were for an emissions canister vent stuck open and a sensor. When they pulled the canister vent they said it was full of water. The canister sits on the driver's side right by the rear axle.

The dealership told me the problem was almost certainly from launching the boat. The manual only states not to drive in "deep" water. The back tire was probably submerged a little more than halfway at most...so, 16-18 inches maybe. I don't really consider that deep water.

I called Honda and they told me that they didn't know of any problems and that there was nothing to advise against launching a boat or partially submerging the rear axle but that I should defer to the judgement of the dealership.

Now I'm thinking I've got to get rid of my CR-V and get something else before I can even go fishing again. I don't really know what else to do here or where else to turn...But at this point I wouldn't advise anyone to launch anything with a Honda...or drive one in the rain for that matter.

Maybe it all just happened because it got shut off and restarted while submerged? I just don't know.

oldjeep

Admiral

Common problem with evaps in cars. The vent tubes are low and when they designed them they didn't think that anyone would be dunking a car to the "frame". You could move the vent hose higher to aleviate the problem.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I've been putting together the exact same scenario for over a year...Recently I've had some BAD results. I'd like to let you know about it and see if anyone can comment on the problem too.

I have an '06 CR-V that I've been towing and launching a 14' Gregor Aluminum with for a year. About 2 months ago I traded out the Gregor for a 2000 Ranger R61 which NADA weighs at under 1000 pounds. I assumed that since the boat and motor are all considered in valuing the boat and there isn't a way to look at them separately that this weight includes them too but I'm not certain.

Anyway, I've had no problem towing or launching until my last trip. My dad backed the CR-V down the ramp, for me to load the boat and then turned the car off. As soon as I started the V I had a check engine light.

After much pain and suffering I'm now into the local Honda dealership (I know...) about $600 with another $277 +tax to go this week. The codes were for an emissions canister vent stuck open and a sensor. When they pulled the canister vent they said it was full of water. The canister sits on the driver's side right by the rear axle.

The dealership told me the problem was almost certainly from launching the boat. The manual only states not to drive in "deep" water. The back tire was probably submerged a little more than halfway at most...so, 16-18 inches maybe. I don't really consider that deep water.

I called Honda and they told me that they didn't know of any problems and that there was nothing to advise against launching a boat or partially submerging the rear axle but that I should defer to the judgement of the dealership.

Now I'm thinking I've got to get rid of my CR-V and get something else before I can even go fishing again. I don't really know what else to do here or where else to turn...But at this point I wouldn't advise anyone to launch anything with a Honda...or drive one in the rain for that matter.

Maybe it all just happened because it got shut off and restarted while submerged? I just don't know.

Well if it were me, first of all the inboard boats on NADA are weight with the engine. The outboard boats are weighed WITHOUT the engine. I would guess that with a fuel-filled, battery and gear packed boat, you are hauling close to 2000lbs. What size OB motor do you have? What size tank and how many batteries? I say that because my boat weighs 600lb. and trailer less than 300 (which is VERY hard to do with a boat package over 1000 lbs.) and I have one of the lightest 65hp motors ever made, and I am BARELY under the 1500lb. limit with a packed boat. If you want to keep towing that thing Id get a new vehicle anyway.

I never, NEVER dunk my tail pipe into the water. That is why they make these.... http://www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com/

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Nebo, nothing personal, but your problem has nothing to do with your car and everything to do with your ramp technique. Especially with small boats, you never get your tires wet. Or the bumper or tail pipe. That's why you have a winch.

nebocreek

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure my technique could use some fine-tuning and I'm thinking weight is probably more than I should be pulling with this thing. It all seems to confirm what I've been suspecting...That CR-V has to go. Ughh...now the headache really start. :facepalm:

jkust

Rear Admiral

I don't really know what else to do here or where else to turn...But at this point I wouldn't advise anyone to launch anything with a Honda...or drive one in the rain for that matter.

A suggestion is to simply get a roller trailer. With a roller trailer, even the trailer itself barely gets wet and so my truck hasn't so much as gotten near the water at any of the dozens of accesses I use. Not as practical as a tounge extension $ wise but moreso than replacing your tow vehicle.