Need major help new float on trailer

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMG107.jpgIMG108.jpgIMG109.jpgGot a new trailer, my boat is 1967 Larson about 17 ft and 16ft from transom to bow eye and i will be putting it on a 20ft v galvanized Trailer.I want to know what y'all think about the bunks.I want all bunks and on the new trailer they are about 20 inches apart however that would not support my hull all that well. I would need to move the bunks out to around 30 inches but i am not sure my keel would not hit the crossmembers.

My second problem is the bow stop, i cannot move it forward its one of those triangle deals.The axle hangers are welded also.How am i going to snug it up to the bow stop without having to much tongue weight.

Help where should i start first

http://photobucket.com/Larsonrestore

Attachments

• IMG110.jpg
    IMG110.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need major help new float on trailer

What should i start with First measuring the boat?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That trailer looks a tad narrow for that boat, or maybe it's just the picture angle.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

That trailer looks a tad narrow for that boat, or maybe it's just the picture angle.

It's just the picture angle, On the new trailer it's 6ft between the rails on the old one it was like 4ft which is another reason i am trying to change it out.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Whats the problem? Just add another set of bunks outside of the first set, you can get the hardware here on this site, as for the bow stop I think your looking at some fabricating, the new trailer is set up for this already so either get to be good friends with a welder or get after it on your own! The new trailer is a canvas be your own Picasso!

Or get your tail on the road I have Thursday through Saturday off Bring a case of Corona and some money for Steel...

You have been thinking of visiting Colorado right!

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whats the problem? Just add another set of bunks outside of the first set, you can get the hardware here on this site, as for the bow stop I think your looking at some fabricating, the new trailer is set up for this already so either get to be good friends with a welder or get after it on your own! The new trailer is a canvas be your own Picasso!

Or get your tail on the road I have Thursday through Saturday off Bring a case of Corona and some money for Steel...

You have been thinking of visiting Colorado right!

HAHAH... i love Corona but love Florida even more... Although Denver is quite nice in the winter.

Is there standard angle the inside bunks are supposed be? I like the idea of adding a second set fo rmore support.It looks like i am going to have to buy a new winch post and add a crossmember to mount it too ;or have it fabricated welded on.Dunno

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it possible to bolt in a crossmember and mount the winch stand to that so i can get it closer to the boat.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trailer Set-up and adjustment

Trailer Set-up and adjustment

Is it possible to bolt in a crossmember and mount the winch stand to that so i can get it closer to the boat.

Does anyone know the angle of standard bunks,it would save me from buying a whole lot of hardware.Also has anyone put a smaller boat on a larger trailer before? What did you have to do to make it work??

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, even though I'm new here, I'm gonna jump in anyways.

I would measure the angle of the bottom of your hull at several places along the boat's length, and make some cardboard templates that you can work with.

How to do that? Well, if you have an electronic level that reads in "degrees", then you can just zero it out on the level, then measure one side, note the measurement, then measure the other side and note it. (The boat doesn't have to be level to do this, but it makes the math easier.) Add the two angles, then divide by 2. That's the slope of the hull of the boat from the keel out. I'd take these measurements at about eight evenly-spaced places on the boat, starting with the stern. Then make some templates, (re-inforce with wood so they'll not flop around) and do some trial fitting. Maybe use a stick of lumber to represent the keel, too, depending on how fancy you want to get. That will tell you pretty quickly how high the back bunks need to be in order to accommodate the deep-V hull you have. (The trailer seems to be made for a "flatter" boat, from the looks of it.) And it'll tell you whether you can use some of your existing hardware to make it happen, or if you have to have some non-standard stuff made up.

Make the bunks extend past the stern by an inch or so, to fully support the stern.

The deep-V will tend to crash into the structure of either trailer on a rough day, so a setup that is mostly free of high "towers" will be kinder to the hull. Some folks shield structures with PVC pipe, extra rollers, etc... the catalogs are full of solutions, so do some browsing.

Also, go down to the ramp and check out other trailers, and take some pics. (Of course, be prepared to explain what you're up to, and bring your own pics as "backup" if necessary.)

Gotta go for now, though...

On edit --
Later on I'll look at your album.

Chip

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

HAHAH... i love Corona but love Florida even more... Although Denver is quite nice in the winter.

Is there standard angle the inside bunks are supposed be? I like the idea of adding a second set fo rmore support.It looks like i am going to have to buy a new winch post and add a crossmember to mount it too ;or have it fabricated welded on.Dunno

I don't think there is a standard angle for your bunks just get the bunks positioned where the rest against the hull next to the strakes, get the first set done and then add the second set as far outboard as possible on the hull.

Like I said I would use the existing bow mount on the trailer just fabricate one that will utilize the mount on your trailer frame

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey LippCj7-I appreciate the help so far ,The current posts for the bunks are not adjustable they are welded to the frame so i cannot adjust the angle which us unfortunate because i am preety sure they are not at the correct angle.After i take some templates that Chip suggested i will know what the proper angle is to support the hull correctly.I sure hope i can just add some bunks but i am curious how much it will cost to have the winch stand moved up further or welded on.

Chip-I didnt even think of making a templete, that is a great idea,i think you are correct that the new trailer was set-up for a much flatter hull and not a deep V like mine.I may have to cut the existing brackets off the frame and add 1 set of 6 bolster brackets with ubolts,swivels and 2x6X10 bunks.I hope i don't have to and just add outside bunks as LippCJ7 suggested.I also sure hope i don't have to have the winch stand welded in another place sounds expensive

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ok here is what I would do, leave the existing brackets, but cut the "L" tab off the top and purchase these http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice-Swi...133658187--session_id.588778538--view_id.3044 and simply drill the existing welded trailer bracket to fit these onto. the swivel top will allow you to make the right angle meanwhile you still have the welded connection which is better in my opinion to the bolted option.

Then you can order another set for the outside bunks and bolt them on as needed.

A welder will cost you more if he has to cut and figure things out as opposed to you doing the cutting and engineering and only need to tell him to weld here, and here, and here make sense? Build it strong, there is a lot of stress on the winch post, with the angle of the existing winch mount I would think about a brace on the coupler side of the mount to relieve stress on the trailer, just a simple piece of 2"X 1/4" flat stock welded from the trailer to the post about a foot up will be fine.

Welding prices vary but I would expect your costs to be about $200 welding if you supply the pre-cut stock and engineering clean edges all he has to do is weld, and that's a little high if he has to invest more time it will cost more obviously.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Updates: Well i ended up cutting off the L tabs that were welded too the trailer because the height was not correct and went with adjustable bolster brackets with 2x6x10 bunks.

Now my problem is with the boat snugged up to the bow roller i have about 2.5 ft of bunk that extends past the transom.Not sure if the tongue is going to be too heavy with this set-up.Anyone have any ideas how to get around welding in a crossmember and mounting the bow stop and hitch post further down on the trailer.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it really that big of a deal to have the extra length of the bunk

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG164.jpgIMG165.jpgIMG166.jpgI got the boat on the Trailer!! YAY HOORAY!! However i have tooo much tongue weight because its a large trailer and the winch post needs to be moved back.See Pics and make recommendations on how i should modify PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!

Last edited:

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, i'll just write to myself HAHAHA!!! Use this as a log!! Turns out i just need to get an adjustable winch stand i can move back about 9 inches to slve the problem.