Trailer Under Water Four Months... Bearings, Axle Concerns? Input ASAP!!

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Trailer Under Water Four Months... Bearings, Axle Concerns? Input ASAP!!

Sounds like you've got a winter project boat at that price. Definitely check out all of the wiring, new bearings and repack, and have the surge brakes flushed with clean fluid.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

interesting that all the advice centers on the $650 trailer, since it's not likely the free boat on top of it is going to be operational any time soon

JDA1975

Lieutenant

interesting that all the advice centers on the $650 trailer, since it's not likely the free boat on top of it is going to be operational any time soon

Since it was in the trailer section of forums, I assume that was what concerned him the most

Thalasso

Commander

His question was about a submerged trailer.

j_martin

Admiral

Hire a hauler if you're still interested. It's heavy, it's wet, the brakes are shot. It'll ride on a beaver tail just fine. If you're having trouble figuring that out, you might be getting in over your head on the service end of the deal.

cribber

Lieutenant

Hire a hauler if you're still interested. It's heavy, it's wet, the brakes are shot. It'll ride on a beaver tail just fine. If you're having trouble figuring that out, you might be getting in over your head on the service end of the deal.

Sorry to the OP... that just made me laugh!!! :D Something to think about for getting your project home.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

O/P indicated 11 posts ago that he was passing on the "deal"

cribber

Lieutenant

Yup going back thru the thread he passed it up which was likely for the best, Keep checking the ads and if it's close check it out. We're all boat folks on here and ya got all winter to find that deal for next season!!!

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup going back thru the thread he passed it up which was likely for the best, Keep checking the ads and if it's close check it out. We're all boat folks on here and ya got all winter to find that deal for next season!!!

Yeah my thread was about the towing ability / condition of the trailer.

The boat itself was a good project. Interior just needed freshened up and the bottom / under coat needed fresh paint. I don't have a problem replacing the floor or interior seats, just can't hate the stress of having to deal with a non-functional trailer on the interstate.

strokersquid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys,

Thank you for all your comments. I have seen the boat, not in bad shape BUT is dirty. Seller has not cleaned the outside of the boat or the interior. The trailer isn't in bad shape but nothing to brag about either.

Seller told me the boat has been winterized since 2007. The hull up close isn't stress cracked, gashed or stratched up. The interior like I said is very dirty and will need to be treated for mold & mildew.

The agreed upon price was $625 for this boat BUT.....

If the trailer doesen't make it back to my home after a 4 hr drive is it worth it?

The boat is roomy, has a 350 Merc BUT I can't swap out the trailer for another because the cabin area land wise is chewed up because of the flood.

I was hoping to aquire a really cool Sea Ray 207 and I didn't mention it's an 1983 so given the year, the condition of the trailer, the weight of the boat 3,170lb's, and the drive of 260 miles...

It's probably best that I not make the drive and aquire this boat. My girlfriend like's the size of the boat and the fact it's probably a smooth riding bow rider, she did say the trailer concerns her & I felt the same so that's why I wanted a 2nd opion from everyone about this trailer.

The last thing I need is someone dying on the interstate because of my new boat trailer (crappy) locking up, wheel falling off, etc causing a huge crash either ***-end or other lane and killing someone.

Boats are fun but having it at the cost of another persons safey or life, liability $$ wise, etc.. just isn't worth it.

I can't even imagine the hellish experience of having to deal with a locked-up or badly non-functioning trailer going 70mph to 75mph down the road....

This is literally short notice request for replies & well appreciated. I had to confirm with the seller my decision tomorrow and will back out. I hate backing out as I'm a man of my word but it's for the best in this scenario. Now if all of you were close I would invite everyone over for some grillin & drinks..

Just another Midwest guy.. BTW the midwest is a great place to live for you east & west coast friends!
Not if you have lived on the left coast. I'm an ex-Michigander and live in the SF Bay area. My family is all back there. I can boat all year long. They're scraping snow off cars and shove
ling snow November through April.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The interior like I said is very dirty and will need to be treated for mold & mildew.

The agreed upon price was $625 for this boat BUT.....

!

The mold/mildew and rot that can't be seen is the real concern.

The trailer doesn't concern me that much. There is not much to them other than wiring/lights and wheel ends. All easy fixes.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

The mold/mildew and rot that can't be seen is the real concern.

The trailer doesn't concern me that much. There is not much to them other than wiring/lights and wheel ends. All easy fixes.

Yeah I decided to pass on the boat. Long drive, interior needed alot of work meaning the panels, covers, and seating needed a hardcore cleaning, trailer was iffy.. Engine & outdrive were solid. 350 / 260hp would have been nice but maybe too much work given the condition of this boat.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you aren't getting it cheap enough to justify hauling it on a flat bed then don't buy it.... the trailer MIGHT be gtg with a bearing repack or it might not but consider it a total loss when buying...... if the seller says no then yep you are out of line pushing further.... you would obviously be buying it as is where is.... offer accordingly

Also consider that if the boat set in flood water for 4 months, it may have damage as well..... tied to a tree unattended and safely tied to a dock are two different situations.... are you SURE the boat was floating? No water in the engine or fuel tank?

Obviously you aren't getting to take it on a sea trial so I'd make an offer based on the boat and trailer both needing major repair (about 10% of normal value) and hope for the best.

For any items I could verify were in good shape I would consider upping the offer if I had too.

You are dealing with a lazy seller who couldn't even be bothered to pull his boat out of a flood so also expect to find other things that he couldn't be bothered to do such as winterization..

"You are dealing with a lazy seller who couldn't even be bothered to pull his boat out of a flood"
He could have started his boat and cruised out of the flood area too.... the boat can support the trailer (proof of this is the fact it floated) just won't be going anywhere fast. Run aground, raise the lower unit up a bit and gun it! LOL