Silverado towing question, "tow" button....

whitecrystal1

Seaman
Re: Silverado towing question, "tow" button....

Are you misunderstanding what I said? I say if you are towing any kind of decent load then use the tow mode.
Yes I did, sorry. I use tow haul mode when towing my boat (about 7,000lbs loaded), it really helps slowing down my load on the steep grades around here. and you are correct, not sure the OP would benefit using it with his load.
Here is my new truck and my boat. Need to get a better pic.
250168_10150191216977602_720602601_7037209_2895055_n.jpg

Here it is behind my last truck. The transmission died at 66K miles. So after getting it fixed I went Chevy :p
boat4vu3.jpg

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I initally never used the tow mode on my 2010 Tundra for towing. My logic was that it wasn't worth the decrease in fuel mileage. Lately I've been using tow mode religously and honestly see a minimal decrease in my fuel mileage. There really isn't a downside to it.

bronc76

Cadet

I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 4x4 with a 6" lift and 35" tall tires. My truck has been re geared front and rear to compensate for the tire size. I have the smallish 4.7L v8 with about 250HP and a 5 speed automatic trans, truck has 115,000 miles. I always tow in tow mode. I am an ASE certified auto tech and can tell you heat is the worst thing for an automatic trans and towing in OD builds huge amounts of heat in all but down hill situations. If you guys towing in OD want to argue this point do it kill a tranny and try to get it fixed under warranty. I can tell you 100% they will say no and its gunna cost x amount if you want it fixed. Just like boats not all trucks are created equal. A diesel powered truck with a huge alison tranny and giant electric fan covered trans coolers is going to put up with towing at low rpm much better than say my truck. I have many performance mods done to my truck , one being the chip that raises the presure in the tranny to give firmer faster shifts even without the tow haul mode. This will extend the life of any tranny do to less heat from slipping, sloppy shifts. That tow haul button does the same thing increasing pump presure, extending shift points and making for a faster transition into the next gear. All of this combines to make less heat which in turn means longer life for any automatic trans. One call to your local dealer will confirm this, its just a phone call away. Bottom line is if you tow, I dont care if it's a kids wagon you should use tow mode if available unless you just have so much money you just don't care about money or your time for repairs.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i always drive with overdrive off but i also have a 6,000 boat and a 6,250 towing capacity. with my last boat i never used overdrive it was light enough that it didnt effect me i useually tow my boats at 65-70-75 mph. you probably wont even know the boat is there and if your going under 45 you wont even engauge OD. some one said use 3rd and thats what my dad does keeps the tranny from going into OD you will use more gas at speeds of 65-70 since your not going into OD but you wont burn your tranny. not likely with a boat of your size that you would any way.

edit: might i add it sucks to be you with an 04 that every one is argueing what your tow rating is weather its really 6k and 9k wd. my 95 f150 has a 6250 max and i put a class IV hitch rating 7k -12k wd with a 12k 7 inch raised hitch and 12k ball. safe enough to bet if i can roll off the line and stop i am not loseing my load.

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 4x4 with a 6" lift and 35" tall tires. My truck has been re geared front and rear to compensate for the tire size. I have the smallish 4.7L v8 with about 250HP and a 5 speed automatic trans, truck has 115,000 miles. I always tow in tow mode. I am an ASE certified auto tech and can tell you heat is the worst thing for an automatic trans and towing in OD builds huge amounts of heat in all but down hill situations. If you guys towing in OD want to argue this point do it kill a tranny and try to get it fixed under warranty. I can tell you 100% they will say no and its gunna cost x amount if you want it fixed. Just like boats not all trucks are created equal. A diesel powered truck with a huge alison tranny and giant electric fan covered trans coolers is going to put up with towing at low rpm much better than say my truck. I have many performance mods done to my truck , one being the chip that raises the presure in the tranny to give firmer faster shifts even without the tow haul mode. This will extend the life of any tranny do to less heat from slipping, sloppy shifts. That tow haul button does the same thing increasing pump presure, extending shift points and making for a faster transition into the next gear. All of this combines to make less heat which in turn means longer life for any automatic trans. One call to your local dealer will confirm this, its just a phone call away. Bottom line is if you tow, I dont care if it's a kids wagon you should use tow mode if available unless you just have so much money you just don't care about money or your time for repairs.

You do make some good points but a lot of dealerships will try to use any aftermarket parts (say a chip that alters the factory transmission pressure, oversized tires, lift kit) to void you warranty too. If you look at allison's website they say to use tow mode when the vehicle is heavily loaded, the Nissan Titan's owners manual says to use tow mode when the weight being towed is equal to 75% of the tow vehicle weight, and mine has a vague statement of heavy load (but it just changes the shift points but still uses OD). Saying that just because you are towing something automatically requires tow mode is ridiculous to say the least. If the trans is searching for gears and continually shifting I agree that locking out OD is a good idea but if the trans only has the occasional downshift then I don't see a point in not using OD. My truck's transmission is just fine after 108K miles of towing (normally 4K-8K) with OD on.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A benefit I've seen to using the Tow/Haul mode on my 2007 Chevy Silverado is lower transmission oil temps (TOT). I have a Scangauge II and it displays TOT digitally to one degree precision. Once, after making a pit stop, I forgot to engage the Tow/Haul when I got back on the road. I noticed that TOT was 20 degrees higher than before I stopped. When I tried to figure out why, I saw that the Tow/Haul mode was off. After I turned it back on, the TOT dropped.

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am almost positive that the Allison transmission (so far as I know only available on HD models) is the only one with the Overdrive Lockout mode. The standard 1500's have Tow/Haul mode, which still lets the transmission get into overdrive. I tow in Tow/Haul mode, just shifts at a higher RPM. The manual also states that you wont cause damage by using the Tow/Haul mode even if you aren't pulling.... just bad MPG.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

OD lockout on the 1500's is accomplished by putting the gear shift on "3" instead of "D"

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My apologies, I read earlier in this post that "holding the tow/haul" button would lock out overdrive..... which is for Allison transmissions so far as I know. :)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

My apologies, I read earlier in this post that "holding the tow/haul" button would lock out overdrive..... which is for Allison transmissions so far as I know. :)

No, you were right, I typed that. I posted too quick without proof reading and was describing my current truck but didn't make that clear. Bottom line is that you can OD lockout either allison or non-allison transmissions using different methods, and they both have tow mode.

It seems people are still confusing tow mode and OD lockout though.

bronc76

Cadet

A benefit I've seen to using the Tow/Haul mode on my 2007 Chevy Silverado is lower transmission oil temps (TOT). I have a Scangauge II and it displays TOT digitally to one degree precision. Once, after making a pit stop, I forgot to engage the Tow/Haul when I got back on the road. I noticed that TOT was 20 degrees higher than before I stopped. When I tried to figure out why, I saw that the Tow/Haul mode was off. After I turned it back on, the TOT dropped.

This was the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread. I have seen the difference in temp as well, when OD is used the temp in the tranny will rise. Temp kills auto trannies period. Doesn't matter what make or model. If your truck gives you an option by using an OD lockout button or by using 3rd you will get longer life from your tranny by not towing in OD. If you have towed for 108,00 miles using OD and it has been fine thats great but a tranny that might have gone even longer won't go as long when you are heating it up. And as for chips etc voiding warrantys you can use a power programmer that will work for electronically controlled trannys without voiding any factory warranty as it can be removed in most cases within about 5 min. If you want an automatic tranny to really last use quality fluids such as Royal Purple, keep track of service intervals, if you dont have a trans cooler add one( preferably with a fan ), and try to avoid using OD when towing. These things will make a tranny last. There are exceptions to every rule of course some people get lucky and without following any of this go rediculous amounts of miles without failure. I have an family member that smoked cigs to the tune of 3 packs a day until he was 104yrs old. He was the exception most people can't do that.

whitecrystal1

Seaman

There are exceptions to every rule of course some people get lucky and without following any of this go rediculous amounts of miles without failure.
and some people don't get so lucky :(
I had my tranny in my F150 fuild exchanged at my dealer at 30K as the book called for, then I changed the pan filter filter afterwords myself since it wasn't part of the fluid service. Then at 45K I had the fluid exchanged and Royal Purple was put in... I always turned the OD off when towing.... yet my tranny failed at 66K miles.

I am not a Royal Purple fan. Not because my tranny failed and I blame them for it.. could just have been from a bad part inside.. but because I also tried it in the real axle and had no luck with it there either. My truck had a limited slip rear and Royal Purple says no Friction Modifier is needed with their fluid... but after installing it my rear started to shudder on take offs. I switched back to Motorcraft fluid and added the Friction Modifier and was done with it.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

This was the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread. I have seen the difference in temp as well, when OD is used the temp in the tranny will rise. Temp kills auto trannies period. Doesn't matter what make or model. If your truck gives you an option by using an OD lockout button or by using 3rd you will get longer life from your tranny by not towing in OD. If you have towed for 108,00 miles using OD and it has been fine thats great but a tranny that might have gone even longer won't go as long when you are heating it up. And as for chips etc voiding warrantys you can use a power programmer that will work for electronically controlled trannys without voiding any factory warranty as it can be removed in most cases within about 5 min. If you want an automatic tranny to really last use quality fluids such as Royal Purple, keep track of service intervals, if you dont have a trans cooler add one( preferably with a fan ), and try to avoid using OD when towing. These things will make a tranny last. There are exceptions to every rule of course some people get lucky and without following any of this go rediculous amounts of miles without failure. I have an family member that smoked cigs to the tune of 3 packs a day until he was 104yrs old. He was the exception most people can't do that.

He wasn't talking about OD lockout. He is talking about the tow mode.TOW MODE DOES NOT PREVENT THE TRANSMISSION FROM GOING INTO OVERDRIVE. On a GM truck, tow mode and overdrive lockout are two different things.

bronc76

Cadet

I would be highly suspect of a dealer that did a tranny service and didnt change the filter. I have worked in many different dealerships and some smaller shops as well over the years and none would have done that. If they called it a flush then thats another story. These new machines that the oil lube places use mearly flush fluid through your trans and they don't change the filter. But any way sorry you have had the problems with Royal Purple have been using it for years in everything from lawn mowers to an 800+ HP rock racer. I always run an automatic locking diff from detroit in my trucks cant stand limited slip diffs. Nothing to wear out in a detroit locker and it will always send full engine power to both rear wheels when needed even if one should be off the ground. I have a Ford Bronco 2 1984 4x4 that has just been a toy over the years running royal purple in front and rear diffs, transfer case, tranny, and engine. This little bugger just hit 327,500 miles with no catastrofic failures and driven on some of the worst (best for me) off road trails in Cali and AZ. Sometimes things just fail. Sounds like you did all you could to prevent it.

ranger 45

Recruit

I believe the manual says you need tow / haul mode if your towing 85 percent of vehicles towing capacity. I tow a skidsteer behind 2010 2500hd and leave it in regular shift mode with no problem. It will shift at higher rpm's when in tow mode.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

This thread is great, it is like a political debate. Lots of opinions, arguments, chatter.

This is a very controversial little button!