Fuel efficient tow vehicles options?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Fuel efficient tow vehicles options?

why the hell that ???? modern direct injected turbo charged common rail diesel engines blow every gasoline V8 away in fuel efficiency and when it comes to torque and pulling force they can compare with V8 petrol engines... strange... ok- in this case a modern diesel in a suv is not an option in the US.

Unless you buy a 2005-2006 CRD liberty or 2005-2008 mercedes diesel powered Grand Cherokee

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh here we go again....lol. Tundra's are closer to "domestics" than the domestics are. 85% NA content and built only in TX (they used to be built in Indiana too). No other manufacturer can brag about that. ;)

lol :facepalm:

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh here we go again....lol. Tundra's are closer to "domestics" than the domestics are. 85% NA content and built only in TX (they used to be built in Indiana too). No other manufacturer can brag about that. ;)

Mine was built in Dayton Ohio.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

buy a good used diesel p/u and be done with it ... great mpg and power to pull anything..

A big truck is seldom necessary. Before they invented SUV's the family sedan or stawag did fine!

A truck IS required now for most boats except for perhaps open aluminum. You must remember that the family car from years ago was a rear wheel drive vehicle with a frame that was heavier than some light trucks built nowadays...

cribber

Lieutenant

ummmm
5364250276_50abe37476_b.jpg

Works for me!!! If it gets you to the water safely!!! :D

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

When you posted this question, I knew you were really going to stir things up.

My work experience is 24 years with a major domestic auto manufacturer, and I used to get into the middle of more car/truck deals in a month than a top salesman would see in his career. I am a car guy--through and through.

For pulling an 18'-22' boat and spending $18k-$20K: Go after a 2 year old domestic 1/2 ton truck with a "supercab" second seat. I would suggest a Chevy C1500 or Ford F150 with the regular 5.3 engine or 5.4 engine. (Those GM variable displacement motors are junk.) Go for the middle trim cloth seats, as the leather seated versions are too much $ and usually 4x4's. I would go for a two wheel drive unless your lake has very poor quality boat ramps. Two wheel drive trucks will perform well on the highway and get approximately 18-19 mpg in moving traffic. These trucks will give you good value because they will hold their value if well maintained and taken care of.

I say 2 wheel drive, because of their lower initial cost and simplicity. For the price difference, you can pay for 40-50 wrecker calls. At $110 hourly labor rates, I don't want to pay the price to maintain a complicated drive system.

Notice that I didn't include Dodge Trucks. While they are perfectly good trucks, they just don't hold their value 2 years old or especially 5 years old. Their automatics are not reliable as the other brands. If you wanted to purchase a Dodge, I would want the newest body style--in a crew cab. Dodge dealers are not as successful as Ford/Chevy, and this brand truck is just not as good a value as Ford/Chevy for the long run.

The mid size trucks would do the job if they had V-8's, but they're really not much less expensive than full size trucks--and much harder to sell on the used market. The Chevy Colorado is just not too popular, and the Tacoma's a gas hog (simply put.)

You could go an Expedition or Tahoe (with the right engine), but they're pretty expensive new and used. A good alternative is a 4.6 engine in the last model of Explorer--an especially excellent used vehicle for the money. The V-8 Explorer will get around 21 mpg highway, and they'll pull a boat trailer well.

My tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton crew cab diesel 2 wheel drive leather seated redneck limo--with a chipped engine putting out 700 ft. pounds of torque. I pulled a house down with it last year--no kidding. These trucks may cost $48K new, but I'm getting 20 mpg @ 70 mph and they have a 500,000 miles lifespan. For $18K, you can get an 03 model diesel that still has more miles left in it than a brand new gas 1/2 ton. These trucks are great values, as they are very trouble free and can be passed down to your grandson.

The next generation of new truck engines is now coming into the market. Ford's supercharged V-6 is a real towing monster that still gets 22 mpg. Their new Coyote engine (out of the Mustang GT) is $750 cheaper, and it's about equal in towing power (real world.) Their base V-6 is almost 300 horsepower, and would also do the job. Ford's 6.2 engine is also available in a 3/4 ton. Chevy has a somewhat new engine lineup, but their 6.0 engine with a 4.10 axle is a 10-11 mpg guzzler. But, we're talking much more than $18K for any new truck.

Good luck in your truck search!

haulnazz15

Captain

I would suggest a GM or Dodge turbo diesel along with a Bully Dog Chip. You should get no less than 20MPG and will pull your boat with ease. Should be good for 300,000 miles too. Stay away from the Ford post 2003. I put $2000 in my 04 Powerstroke last month to keep it on the road.

You must have the 6.4L Navistar diesel. The new 6.7L Scorpion is as highly regarded as anything else out there.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dont have anything agains the japan trucks or where they are made, I just simply dont know enough about them, I dont know what gear options are available or if they only come one way.

A diesel alternative we arent offered here is the Subaru Forester, the Turbo Diesel version is offered with a 6 speed stick and has a 4,000 tow capacity. I think that would make a great Daily Driver for me and many others!

jamerson62

Cadet

I bought a 2006 Chevy 1500 Z71 package over a year ago for $19,000. I have the 5.3L high output engine, and I get around 17 city and 22 highway. When I pull my boat (16 foot bowrider) my mileage only drops a few MPG when pulling. Love the power love the gas mileage even more. My first car was a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, and I was getting way less.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I know we're talking used, but my BIL says he can't keep the new Ford F-150 with the 4.3 Ecoboost on his lot. It really is blurring the definition of the half-ton truck. Over 11,000 lbs of towing and 3000 lbs of hauling. That capability and the gas mileage of a V-6.

I don't buy new vehicles or vessels, but I can see one of these eventually replacing my old Dodge down the road.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this will get a host of comments - probably more negative - but here goes. I, too, was looking for the ultimate combination of mileage and towing ability. It will handle 18-19' boat and trailer with ease. Mine is a bit over capacity but I only tow about a 1/4 mile from storage to the lake. At most I have towed about 2 miles to fill with gas on land. I use a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. They are rated for 3500 # and do it effortlessly. I get about 24 MPG no matter how I drive or the load, city or highway, even when hauling 2 kayaks on the roof and 4 bikes on a 5 hour trip to florida. No problems and I have now logged over 100,000 miles. My second favorite tow vehicle was 2006 Toyota 4Runner with 6 cylinder. I loved it but got this to save gas. I think it was rated at 6700. I also had a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and a Chevy 1/2 ton P/U. The Toyotas towed better - surprisingly.

bigdee

Commander

I also had a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and a Chevy 1/2 ton P/U. The Toyotas towed better - surprisingly.[/QUOTE]
I am not surprised. Been there with Chevy and fords and the Toyotas out shined and out pulled them especially the Chevy and I am a Chevy man!

McGR

The new Jeep Grand Cherokees have an all new 3.6 V6 "Pentastar" engine. It posts some pretty good numbers for a V6 motor (290 hp / 260 ft-lb). They get reasonably good mileage of 16 city /23 hwy. I think a Jeep equipped with this motor may be a good compromise.

Edit: I just realized you are looking for used... sorry about that... Nonetheless, I think there are viable 6 cylinder equipped used vehicles that could fit the bill.

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honda Pilot 4WD !

MilChad

Seaman

Thanks again for all the suggestions. After reading this, there are lots of options out there. It looks like we've got it down to the usual suspects. Chevy, Ford, Toyota and Nissan. I had a 2004 Dodge Durango 4X4 and lost my ***** on resale value. I swore I'd never buy another Dodge again after taking such a hit. (I guess buying it new was my 1st mistake).

gtochris

I'd never buy another Dodge again after taking such a hit. (I guess buying it new was my 1st mistake).

I took a quick look on E-bay last night, while I'm looking for a Colorado/ Canyon, the Ram is one heck of a deal! demo models with 4x4 and the Hemi 5.7L selling for under 25k! Thats pretty good in my opinion even though it is out of my price range. Even 2009ish models are going for under 19, it's unfortunate the 2007+ GM trucks are going for so much more. Perhaps it's the gas mileage rap that dodge has?

I'm VERY interested in how the F-150 Ecoboost 3.5L works out both in durability and real world MPG. It's a great concept and I've enjoyed the ecoboost power in the Flex and MKT before, it's an awesome engine! If it could put down 20MPG average I'd buy one once it becomes i my price range.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

For pulling an 18'-22' boat and spending $18k-$20K: Go after a 2 year old domestic 1/2 ton truck with a "supercab" second seat...

...Notice that I didn't include Dodge Trucks. While they are perfectly good trucks, they just don't hold their value 2 years old or especially 5 years old. ...

Is it just me, or are those two quotes not mutually exclusive? :confused::)

To the OP, don't forget about the early 90's Buick Roadmaster Station Wagon. Yes, it will give you funny looks from snobby neighbors, but it is really cheap, tows really well, and gets decent mileage. :D

whitecrystal1

Seaman

Do us all a favor and get a 4runner :D I have the v8 4.7 and get 17-18 mpg towing. My dad's v6 4.0 gets closer to and actually has a higher towing limit of 7300#
17-18mpg Towing??? HA! Mine got 15mpg at best NOT towing anything. I don't see how yours could get better than that towing anything. and anyone that really thinks a 4.0L 4Runner is a good tow vehicle for a 7,300lb load is just crazy... Best to get a full size vehicle for a load that heavy.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

17-18mpg Towing??? HA! Mine got 15mpg at best NOT towing anything. I don't see how yours could get better than that towing anything. and anyone that really thinks a 4.0L 4Runner is a good tow vehicle for a 7,300lb load is just crazy... Best to get a full size vehicle for a load that heavy.

I don't think I'd be towing anything near the tow limit of ANY vehicle. but that it what the truck is rated to. I HAVE towed a load of about 5500 pounds and had no problems. Maybe your truck had some problems or we drive very differently.. I usually get about 20.5 HWY and 16.5 city... so about 18-18.5 combined and like I said 17-18 towing HWY.

Also, they have great resale value.. look on CL or kelley blue book at old 4runners. They depreciate slowly.. a '98 in "good condition" with 150,000 miles -- http://www.kbb.com/toyota/4runner/1...1|true&pricetype=private-party&condition=good

nearly 7000.

I had a buddy pay nearly that for a range rover 5 years newer and with 50,000 less miles.