Best way to paint a trailer?

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a boat trailer and a double jet ski trailer that need painting. I'm tempted to use a brush rather than getting a spray rig?

Anyone had success using a brush to paint a trailer?

texasvet

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Re: Best way to paint a trailer?

I think its going to depend on the finish that you want. Yes, a brush will cover it and may not require the additional equipment and risk of overspray, but will leave some bursh marks. If you are ok with that then go ahead. Obviously you want to do the proper prep work of scraping and priming.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Prep is the key. I did one with a brush and just sprayed my most recent one with rattle cans. Used Rustoleum on both. It took 5 cans. The sprayed trailer looked better but can't say it's going to hold up any better.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If concerned with a smooth finish, spray it. If concerned with durability, brush and roll it on.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a boat trailer and a double jet ski trailer that need painting. I'm tempted to use a brush rather than getting a spray rig?

Anyone had success using a brush to paint a trailer?

texasvet

I recentlly repainted a 1988 steel trailer using a brush with some fair success. Its an older trailer & my main concerns were surface rust, cost, and longevity.

PREP
I used a powerful stiff wire brush on my grinder and then used rust converter. (this was easier but not quite as good as sand blasting). I primed all bare metals with EPOXY primer. Its designed for automotive spray but brushes on OK. This is key to longevity and well worth the cost of a QT (Be sure Wear a respirator with the proper organic vapor cartridges).
Paint
I used brush on Rustoleum. It as not a hard or durable as good automotive paint but it is much lower cost and I can easily touch it up as needed. The underlying epoxy primer will help prevent rust should I not get to a scratch right away. (Acrylic enamal with hardener sprayed on would be better if your trailer is newer and you have the budget for that. )

Evinbuck

Seaman

Prep is definitely key. Grind or blast away as much rust as possible, sand all old paint and clean the metal and prime. A brush finish is fine and the key to eliminate brush strokes is proper paint viscosity. You shouldn't paint metal in direct sunlight or when the metal is hot. I brushed rustoleum and thinned it a touch with the proper thinner. Use long brush strokes and be prepared to do a whole section at a time to avoid overlapping that causes brush marks. If you're good at it, it's difficult to tell the difference between spray and brush.....we're not talking big flat panels.....just trailer frame.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. Since my post, a friend has offered me the use of his sandblaster so I think I'll sandblast, prime and then paint with a brush.

texasvet

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Dont be shocked but a paint roller works well in this situation. It leaves a smooth finish when thinned properly. When we have touchups on big jets, its rolled on, not sprayed. Another route is to spray everything you can get to, then brush or roll the supports underneath (things you cant).

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I just had my 24' tritoon trailer sandblasted and painted for $350.00. He is over in Baytown send me a PM if you want his number. His only color is black.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just had my 24' tritoon trailer sandblasted and painted for $350.00. He is over in Baytown send me a PM if you want his number. His only color is black.

Thanks for the offer. That's a little far for me, plus my boat budget is busted since in the last year I've purchased a 52 foot houseboat, a 1992 ProCraft fish-n-ski boat and I just bought a 1995 SeaDoo XP that so far is running great. A year ago I had no boat trailers, now I have four. What have I been thinking?

texasvet

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also consider a cheap electric house painter like wagner power painter..... not the quality of automotive air sprayer but nice, cheap, fast

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I used a cheap HF gun and Interlux single stage poly.
attachment.php

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 4

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you considered doing a roll on bed liner coating? This would be very durable and most likely never need to be done again. Just a thought.

On a side note I agree you can get some good results from rolling on paint if you take your time. I'd most likely go this route myself as it would look good enough for a trailer and with the right prep would probably be the most durable.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Use a 4" roller. If you are concerned about texture, tip it in with a brush. But it's a trailer so why would anyone care how it looks? If that matters then you have to take it to a spray both.

here's something about Rustoleum--always use the can instead of spray when you can. It's not thinned as much and goes on thicker. The object, after all, is protection, or you'd be using a different paint. Matching spray, however, is handy for getting in the tight spots.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure you already know this but always paint the hard to get to areas and joints first with a brush, etc, let that dry then do your spray, roller or brush, it will be less obvious and get a little extra coverage in those areas where normally you would get spotty coverage at best. I normally use a touch up gun in these areas, then spray or roll after that, results are worth the time to me.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

4" foam roller and Rustoleum works just fine for a trailer.