Regular trailer for pontoon use?

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry if this has been addressed but I couldn't find a reference to it: I just put my new-to-me Thundercraft 1750 into the water, but my waterfront is too crowded with the 16-6 pontoon. I have to move the toon to the cottage as the family is demanding its return! The trailer that came with the T-craft has bunks that are raised about a foot to account for the deep V hull but they are adjustable.

I have no experience or familiarity with boat trailers. I would like to adapt the trailer to be able to load and unload the pontoon for this task. Is it possible to do that? Might the pontoons simply rest on the bunks as-is? The pontoon is only 6 feet keel-to-keel.

Attachments

• Fleet.jpg
    Fleet.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Regular trailer for pontoon use?

I measured the trailer and the distance between the bunks is 3 ft 7 in. IIRC I saw an example of a pontoon on a boat trailer where the guy had lashed 4x4 beams across the trailer and attached lumber bunks to the beams . . . looked very Beverly Hillbilly, but still . . . he's the trailer|:

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

More searching shows that this question has been asked in the past and the reply was in the negative. I will reconsider.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

yep... without extensive rework of the trailer, its not going to happen. Pontoon trailers are fairly specialized.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

A flat bed car hauler trailer on the other hand could work pretty well as long as you can keep the toons off the fenders

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Might be able to work something out with the local marina, especially if you have a relationship with one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most boat dealers that also sell pontoons will very likely rent a pontoon trailer as will many marinas. Do this safely.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right . . . I'm convinced. The problem seems to be that there are no trailers around my area that can load such a narrow pontoon spread (6 ft.) I may just try harder to sell it locally and pass the cash back to the cottage crew . . .