Securing Boat cover to trailer for towing? (Tarp Hooks?)

ttugrad

Seaman
When I bought the boat it came with a very nice custom canvas cover. It was secured to the trailer with individual ropes from metal D rings on the cover around the frame of the trailer. This was a PAIN to take off and on, so I ditched it for a long bungee that I run through the D Rings and around the trailer frame. This is still a pain..my mechanic suggested I drill into the frame to attach tarp hooks to make it easier.

The ones I found are between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2" long and seem a little big for my needs. They also look a little crappy against my nice painted and waxed trailer. I am also a little hesitant to drill holes in my trailer as it might encourage rust.

What do you guys use? Any way to do this easily and have it look good?

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Securing Boat cover to trailer for towing? (Tarp Hooks?)

Never been a fan of towing a boat with a cover. I have never seen a cover on a boat that was'nt flapping at 70 mph.
In my stupid opionion,?? either the cover, or the boats finnish is taking a beating.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Towing WITH a cover provides less drag and better fuel economy than WITHOUT. That said, a properly fitted and secured cover does not have to flap itself to shreds nor does it have to rub the finish. I've posted pictures here a number of time of my boat that uses no straps and it actually sucks down at speed rather than billowing up. In this posters case, there is no shortcut. I don't know how you would shortcut the process of securing the cover. You either use bungees around the frame or add the eye bolts. Either way you attach the same number of bungees.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I do not use a full cover while towing, I have a Bow and Cockpit cover, each snaps into place and is properly supported from inside the cabin while the boat is on the trailer. I have grown to like this way of towing as Silvertip stated I have seen an increase in fuel savings with the covers in place as well as the added security of knowing nothing is being blown out of my boat, Once I get home then I put the full cover on my boat for weekly storage. Would it be possible for this type of solution for the OP? I completely agree there really is no shortcuts here, I am also not a fan of drilling several holes in the trailer but it can be done in a way to prevent rust and with regular maintenance.

ttugrad

Seaman

I don't notice any movement in the cover when towing, it "sucks down" as mentioned by another poster. I try to keep it covered as much as I can; every minute out of the sun and wind is a minute that protects my investment.

I thought of trying to find some small aluminum hooks and attach them with pop rivets but have not not been able to find any.

You mentioned a way to attach without encouraging rust? It is a hollow beam trailer, so drilling through one side would leave a unprotected area inside the beam. How can it be done?
Using 2- 25' bungees "laced" around the eyes and trailer frame provide the best hold but is a pain to get on and off. I was thinking that with hooks, I could just leave the bungee in the eyes on the cover and stretch them around the hooks on the trailer to secure...seems much easier.

Brewman61

Ensign

Attach it any way you like, as long as the cover stays on at speed.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Use a self drilling screw to attach your eyelets on the trailer, I would use 3/8" screws, screw them into your trailer frame and then remove them, dip a q-tip into some primer and dab it on/in the hole, then coat the screw threads with primer, and then put the screw back in attaching the d-ring or whatever to the trailer, wipe the excess off and let it cure, you may have to do this every other year or so

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I never could see the logic of tieing the cover to the trailer. First off, when you get to your vacation spot and put the boat in the water for the week, now how do you cover the boat without the trailer underneath it? Secondly, regardless how tight the cover is, those long straps WILL vibrate at hightway speeds and that's where abrasion to the side of the boat will occur.

As others have said, a proper cover will not flap and will actually suck down at speed. I bought a piece of canvas and made travel covers for all protruding things like the motor, windshield and tops of the folding seats.

Now to the question......Buy a bag of SS lashing hooks and install them on the boat about 6" below each tie down loop on the cover. Then, buy 20 feet of 3/8" bungie cord sold in bulk rolls. Install a small pioece at each lop, sized just long enough to tightly fit on the lashing hook.

(sorry for the lousy picture quality)

http://www.iboats.com/Lashing-Hook/dm/*******.300270429--**********.126744115--view_id.39714

Attachments

• IMG_2349web.jpg
    IMG_2349web.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0