How do I fix my broken trailer hitch???

achrisk

Cadet
Excuse my vocab, ive only owned a boat for a couple years. The locking clip on the trailer end of the hitch is broken. I can no longer "lock this down" on the ball hitch. I would just replace the whole hitch on the end of the trailer frame but the trailer has its hitch welded to the frame. I have tried to find just this problem piece without luck. What can I do or should I give in and take it to a boat shop?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: How do I fix my broken trailer hitch???

you don't say what size boat you have, but since that piece is so important to the survival of the whole boat and trailer, and the people behind you, I'd replace the whole thing, even if it means having the tongue piece unwelded. I'mm all about short cuts, old stuff and making-do, but that's one place not to mess with.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

you don't say what size boat you have, but since that piece is so important to the survival of the whole boat and trailer, and the people behind you, I'd replace the whole thing, even if it means having the tongue piece unwelded. I'mm all about short cuts, old stuff and making-do, but that's one place not to mess with.

Why? The coupler does actually come apart like the repair kit indicates.....so if the coupler itself isn't damaged in any way, why not repair the locking mechanism itself? Do you replace the wheel every time you get new tires on your car?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think it would be a good time to check the overall condition of the coupler and see if it is rebuildable or if it just looks like its time to replace it, both Home Cookin' and Cannondale have valid points but without seeing the coupler its hard for any of us to judge the overall condition of the coupler itself, but its true as stated this is a pretty important piece to cut corners on. Replacing the coupler is not very difficult as described in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=465939

Good luck!!

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I also agree to check the overall condition of the coupler. Is it rusted? What's the problem that made it break? If you install a new coupler lock, will it just break again? These are questions you should find the answers to.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has been a long time, but I remember repairing a coupler by swapping parts from a coupler I had picked up at a garage sale. I later discovered the repair kits and fixed it again with new parts.

It is a simple job, not expensive and does not require exotic tools or skills.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

It is a simple job, not expensive and does not require exotic tools or skills.

Your killing my credibility here JB!!:D:D

achrisk

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems after taking a good look at what Im dealing with that replacing the coupler is the best option. So since I cant take my trailer anywhere to be repaired, what am looking at for someone to come and do some welding? Is this a pain in the butt and costly?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I could do it in 10 minutes..... it would likely be cheaper to pay a towing company to take it to a shop on a rollback than to pay a welder to come to your house.... portable welding rigs bring a premium $$$$

achrisk

Cadet

well I paid $50 for the trailer. other than the coupler its in good shape. The thought of spending hundreds to get the thing towed away and fixed is depressing. Sounds like i need to find a kind soul with a welding rig who would accept a case of beer and some food.

bigdee

Commander

well I paid $50 for the trailer. other than the coupler its in good shape. The thought of spending hundreds to get the thing towed away and fixed is depressing. Sounds like i need to find a kind soul with a welding rig who would accept a case of beer and some food.

Beer and food! wish that I was your neighbor! Seriously, go to wally world or Harbor Freight buy a coupler and a angle grinder (you can get both at HF for less than $40) Grind off the old weld joints and bolt the new one on. Then celebrate with a beer or two.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Grind off the old weld joints and bolt the new one on. Then celebrate with a beer or two.

That would have been my suggestion as well.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

your location would be a big help achrisk, possibly someone could throw you a hand for a case of beer if they knew where you were located..

Just sayin

achrisk

Cadet

Im in Erie, PA. Do I need a certain drill bit to make the bolt holes in the trailer frame? The frame in constructed from circular tubing

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any metal bit should work fine.

I've done this project and I'm not particularly mechanical :D

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Round tube? ok we need pics that would be a first for me on a trailer!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Round tube? ok we need pics that would be a first for me on a trailer!!

Round tubing is fairly common on older trailers. Might need some of JB's exotic tools after all. I always thought of JB as an exotic kind of guy!;)

achrisk

Cadet

So bolting on the squared coupler on round tubing is not safe or not ideal?