How do I fix my broken trailer hitch???

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: How do I fix my broken trailer hitch???

A truck mounted welder with operator is typically $100hr. Usually there is a minimum hourly charge also. Cheaper to have it towed to a trailer shop.

achrisk

Cadet

I ground the coupler off and cleaned up the tounge. Im now trying to drill my bolt holes but im not gettin very far with my 3amp drill. How much power do i need?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you don't need much power at all but you DO need a sharp bit and cutting oil (or any oil is better than none) to keep it that way

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Your killing me smalls!! (sorry watching the sandlot right now) smokes right a good sharp bit, a bit of oil and some decent speed from a drill, don't push to hard find that sweet spot and get after it

achrisk

Cadet

I picked up a hitachi black gold 135deg split point. Is this the right kind of bit?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a split point will be a nightmare to start into round tube

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If your trying to drill a 3/8" or the bolt hole using only one drill bit of that size,,,,,,,,
it will take a long time, and force.

Start small, like 1/8".

j_martin

Admiral

Rust don't hurt, thin, cracked, or bent does. Check it out. Might be worth fixin'.

Lipp has credibility?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Repair the coupler latch you have, obtain whatever replacement you desire, then pull the thing to the shop you choose to repair it. If you're gonna replace the coupler anyway, replace it with a round one to match the frame. Much stronger, and ultimately safer. Geeesh, no need for an engineering research project ... :facepalm: