trailer has surge brakes but do i need them?

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice
hello all, i have a 1993 glastron ssv175 and a ez-roller trailer... the trailer does have surge brakes i dont even know if they work... how ever the coupler is badly rusted and does not work very well anymore.. the trailer is not original to boat .. do i really need to buy another special coupler for surge brakes? or can i just cap the lines off and put a regular coupler on? its only 17.5 feet long nothing serious..what do you guys think?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trailer has surge brakes but do i need them?

Ayuh,... Sounds like ya don't Need brakes to me...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you need to rehab the brakes. There are many places that require brakes on all trailers over 1500#. My guess is that your tow is over 1500#. It might be easier to convert to electric/hydraulic from the surge.

Brakes are like money and happiness: There is no such thing as too much.

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

not to mention saving your trucks brakes from overheating/ wear. you can never slow yourself quick enough, especially when you have to!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you got em then you should use em.
My 2 cents only though

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

First, I would check with your local fuzz. I'm not sure how you guys do it in canadia, eh. There also may be restrictions about disabling brakes that were OEM.
I would also consider the tow vehicle. If you are pulling it with a blazer, s-10, etc. light duty whatever, trailer brakes are a lot more important. If you are pulling with a f250, or other similar size, the truck will hardly know it's there.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most states require brakes on trailers over 3000lbs--that's you. But it's your family, your liability.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are generally very easy to adjust or repair. First take off the cap on the cylinder and see if there is any fluid in there. If so then you may just need to adjust them. Very easy, just look it up!

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice

Alright it sounds like I will have to check them out.. Once it warms up a bit around here!! Brrr

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

As far as the law is concerned...

The link in the State Towing Rules sticky at the top of this subforum indicates that in Manitoba, brakes are required on a trailer over 910kg (2000 lb).
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

But I suggest you check out your own province's DMV site, because the information in the links in that sticky are not always accurate (or applicable to boat trailers, anyway).

For example, according to the chart, in California any trailer 1500 lb or more needs brakes. This is not entirely correct. The 1500 lb minimum applies to a "trailer coach" or "camp trailer," but for other trailer types it is 3000 lb (if built after 1966) or 6000 lb (if after 1940) or no requirement (pre-1940).
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice

so i just checked regulations for manitoba and they are saying anything over 2006lbs needs trailer brakes... i guess that somes up that area! thanks for all your help guys!