Boat crank nylon webbing has a memory

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First time for everything I guess this 74 Lund and tilt trailer I got last week the crank that pulls the boat onto the trailer was all kind of crooked on the crank, after 9 years being in that position it would not straighten out, each time i tried to rewind it, it got all cross up again. At the boat store yesterday and price one,$10.00 and up. thought i would try something first, came home,borrowed my wife steam iron and in about 10 minutes it was straight again and rolled up just right. ya just never know!! later:)

Attachments

• DSCF1129.jpg
    DSCF1129.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1132.jpg
    DSCF1132.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1131.jpg
    DSCF1131.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1130.jpg
    DSCF1130.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Boat crank nylon webbing has a memory

Frankly, I wouldn't trust that strap. The original unevenness resulted from stretching, and ironing may have added heat damage to the equation.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have one on the Procraft that I was planning on replacing this spring that looks the same. I'm going to try the iron trick, and if it works it will get re-fitted onto my duck boat. Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral

Most of the nylon webbing, 1 1/2" or 2" has a tensile test strength of 10,000lbs+, so you'll probably pull the bow eye out of your boat a Long time before it even thinks of breaking. But if it looks old, frayed, wrinkled, whatever, and you feel better replacing it, by all means go for it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Great solution to your problem! Form the looks of it in the pictures it still looks new ad from the other pictures of you "New" used bout I would guess that it is and just took a set from being wound on the spool wrong.

I would also agree that the tensile strength of that webbing is 10X more than the weight of you boat. I know this as I have the same hull and directly from LUND that boats dry weight is only 365#. I wouldn't have a problem using that strap. As a matter of fact the one on my trailer looks worse that that one and will be replaced this year but only because the wench has issues.

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

Always a good idea to add a short piece of chain with clips from eye on bow of boat to somewhere on winch or other place on trailer just in case that winch cable, rope, strap should break.