Bow drop when launching

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Diamond City cookie cutter trailer. I say cookie cutter because I think its a trailer made to fit several boats but not made to be a good fit with any of them. I've really had some issues with bow drop while unloading. The way I've set up my trolling motor on the bow of the boat is per Minn Kota recommendation. When the bow drops when unloading it broke the skids on the trolling motor that the motor slids over the bow during deployment.
I've read a lot about picking a shallower launch ramp and all that and doing so actually helps some but I am on pins and needles when I do launch, thinking that its going to rip my trolling motor off again.
The manufacturer in Montecello, AR has been helpful. He actually made a new bow stop post that I could move back further on the trailer as well as lowering the bow stop roller.

Also, the war eagle boat that I have had the bow eye welded all the way to the tip of the bow. I took a grinder and ground it off and mounted it back about 8 inches.

Having the new bow stop post and the new welded on bow eye has help a lot but I still have some close calls with the bow at certain ramps. I sure wish I could launch this thing and not even worry about the trolling motor on the bow.

I recently called the trailer manufacturer again and he suggested that we put a new crossmember under the trailer to mount some bow bunks on. I received those in the mail last night.

The bunks are 4 feet long so I guess I'm going to mount the bunks to the existing crossmember and run up to the new crossmember I have yet to weld to my trailer.

Would anyone out there have any ideas on what would be better to do as far as location of the bunks....should they be mounted on the outer portion of the boat so that they are in line with the existing bunks or move them inward so that they are more toward the center of the boat? I had planned to elevate the bow portion of the bunk more so than the transom part of the new bunks so that when I launch hopefully it will prevent bow drop. Luckily the guy sent me adjustable trailer bunk hardware so that I can adjust it some if needed.

Also, the new crossmember and hardware are not powder coat black like the rest of the trailer which was disappointing. They are not galvanized.

Any pointers or suggestions on primer or paint that would be good to paint these? I do not have any saltwater involved where I live.

I'll try to post some pictures later,

Thanks,

Thanks for the suggestions

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow drop when launching

Are you backing into the water too far. Steep ramps tend to create a very sharp angle between how the trailer sits and the water level. While the angle doesn't change in regard to how far you back in, it does make a difference with how soon the boat begins to float. If you are in so the boat almost immediately floats, the bow will tend to drop immediately. If you don't back in so far, the boat will need to move farther off the trailer before the stern and rest of the boat floats. That can be three feet or so and I suspect only a foot or so is all you need to clear the bow stop. If you look carefully at the bow stop, you could have a fabricator make it so it can be folded forward for launching. A simple pin like is used in the receiver hitch would allow very fast folding.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yep 10-1 you're backing in too far..... when you are at your usual launch depth pull ahead about 2-4 feet and try it there.... if it's too hard to get off the trailer try some bunk slides

most boats launch well when the trailer tires are just barely under water.... tops of fenders still visible.... you have to vary that some for different ramps but it's a starting point

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

I love your idea about the folding bow post Silvertip. I had never thought of that and it is an outstanding idea!!!!
Would it still be as strong for winching it up etc?
Also, to your comment about backing in too far. I have done that in the past and as you correctly pointed out I was backing it in too far. There is a fine line on my trailer between too far and not enough. If it's too far like you pointed out, then it really rakes the bow on the bow stop. If it's just right I can stand on the trailer tongue and push it off ok and sometimes put the boat in reverse and back it off without to much rev on the engine. Then if it's not far enough then I'm giving myself a hernia trying to push it off and then just get back in and back down further.
Thanks for the tips.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

That's why I love this site. I hadn't thought of bunk slicks, but another great idea. You guys are the best. I think I will probably try to mount the new center bunks with the new crossmember since the manufacturer already sent them to me. Adjust for as much bow support as possible and then buy some slicks as you suggested and give it a try.

What do you think about that?

Again, thanks for the GREAT suggestion.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a combination of things that I can do will solve my problems. Although I loved the idea of fabricating the bow stop post to tilt forward, I think I'll save that for last as it will require more money and I'm tired of spending money on this trailer.
I'll work on backing in the right distance and adding the slicks and see what happens.
Thanks for your input.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you will LOVE the slicks BUT under NO circumstances should you unhook the winch until you are down the ramp... Otherwise your boat will most likely get to the water before the trailer.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

I will take your advice to heart and thanks again for the advice. I will post again in about a week to let you know how it turned out.

Oh, one last question. Do you think it would work to only put bunk slicks on the new center bow supports (the ones I received from the factory but haven't mounted to the trailer yet) and leave the main bunks carpeted without any slicks?

If I did it that way would I still need to leave the bow hook attached until I hit the water with the boat?

Thanks again!!!!!

Last edited:

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one thing I do ( it may not be right, but its for me) is unhook the safety chain and spin the winch out a couple of turns. This allows me to ease the trailer in the water, get the boat floating then pull the truck back up a bit so i can stand on the trailer to push it the rest of the way off.
Some of the ramps that i launch at are extremely shallow, to the point where the truck tires have to be in the water to get the boat on, and other are steep. I got in the habit of spinning the winch loose REMEMBER TO LOCK IT BACK, last summer when one of my fishing holes was down quite a bit...

I dont know if this will help.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if I have grasped the issue correctly here but would not a keel roller or 2 support things a little better ??
I am also on board with the too deep theory as well.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

he doesn't need more support.... He just needs to be able to get the boat off the trailer without backing in so far.

A couple keel rollers could help by taking some weight off of the bunks but with the slides it will slide like it's loaded on pigsnot
:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would like to see a photo of the issue.
Ours would not move more than a couple of inches off the trailer once, that is until I unhooked the safety chain !! :D

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

The other advice is good. You may also need slightly longer bunks.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the new suggestions. I have been a little busy and haven't been able to post any pictures. I'm a little nervous about unhooking the winch a couple of turns and then locking it back for fear of the trolling motor deployment skids hitting the bow stop roller. I really need to get some pictures of this so that you will understand what I'm up against. Smokeonthewater has a good grasp of my situation (not that others don't). I think the combo of backing in properly, putting on some more bow bunk supports (that the trailer company gave me) and adding some bunk slicks will help tremendously. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

thanks again for everyone's suggestions. A combination of all of them I'm sure will really help once I have a chance to get things organized and put on the trailer.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Kenmyfam,
I'll try to get some pictures posted as soon as I can....kids, work...well you know how finding time goes. Thanks for your input. I think thanks to all these suggestions....I'll finally get the boat to load and unload with out much problem at all.

Thanks!!!!1

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Also, it might help to dunk 'er pretty deep with everything attached, then pull up to the proper launching depth, thereby wetting the hull and trailer bunks.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, I've not posted in forever. The bow drop problem is forever solved. Recently and FINALLY had a chance for a friend of mine to weld on a new crossmember and mounted some carpeted bunk supports with adjustable brackets....and amazing!!!!! it loads and unloads like a dream. Seems like the manufacturers of both the boat and the trailer would have got together a little more often to fix this problem instead of the consumer having to do so.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Well, man it's been a long time in getting back but Diamond City Trailers sent a new crossmember to me that I primed and Painted and then had a friend of mine weld on. I attached the new bunks and brackets and after a little of adjustment I cautiously launched and presto it works great. I sure as heck wished that they would have put these extra bunks on to begin with as it loads and unloads like it was made for the boat from the beginning....not like it was a cookie cutter trailer that it was in the beginning....fits a lot of boats but doesn't work perfectly with any of them. Guess I should have bought a fully adjustable trailer like a shoreland'r to begin with and then I wouldn't have been jacking with it forever. At the end of the day, I finally have a set up that I like and can load and unload without having to be afraid of ripping my trolling motor off due to bow drop.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers such as not backing down to far etc. That helps as well even though the trailer is perfectly set up now.
Monte