What does tow/haul button do?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: What does tow/haul button do?

I'm glad to see this thread because this is a question that haunts me as well.

I drive a F350 Super Duty King Ranch. The tow capacity is about 21,000 GVW and I tow a light (7-8,000 pound travel trailer). The last time out, I didn't use the tow/haul until I got into a hilly area which was a long away from here.

Maybe I'm wrong but my thinking was that I'm a little overpowered so it shouldn't matter. Does it?
I think your reasoning is sound. If it ever feels sluggish in the flats, give it a try.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad to see this thread because this is a question that haunts me as well.

I drive a F350 Super Duty King Ranch. The tow capacity is about 21,000 GVW and I tow a light (7-8,000 pound travel trailer). The last time out, I didn't use the tow/haul until I got into a hilly area which was a long away from here.

Maybe I'm wrong but my thinking was that I'm a little overpowered so it shouldn't matter. Does it?

you should have no problem pulling that in OD unless the terrain gets really hilly. you'll know when you need to turn it off as the tranny will keep upshifting and then back down. if it shifts two or three times within a couple minutes you definitely need to turn off the OD or push tow/haul switch.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BFGoodrich All Terrain ko's

Had two sets of those on my last truck. Inexpensive but lasted a good time.

I wouldn't hear the hum over my flowmasters...:cool:

By the way, did the key to START while running, and heard a quiet "chirp-chirp" after about 3 seconds. Is that it?

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks for the comments. I should have also mentioned that its a diesel and a duelly quad cab.

You are right, it does seems to shift a lot in tow/haul, the one thing I really like about tow/haul is that it automatically downshifts when you are going down a steep hill which is great on the brakes and really helps with slowing down or stopping.

scooper77515

The manual says to change rear axle fluid at 30k intervals. Or 15k if you haul a trailer.

I haul a trailer 5 miles, twice a day, 1, sometimes two days a week. So that is a total of 10-20 miles weekly.

I drive to work 4 days a week at 50 miles each way, then another 20 miles a day while I am there.

I don't tow or haul at work.

So I sorta average out the interval to 25k miles for a rear change. I have so far gotten 170k on this rear and it still looks brand new when I go in to clean and swap fluids.

Do you suggest swapping the rear fluid every 15k miles with this pattern of use? I would be swapping rear fluid about once every other month...:confused:

OdessaTim

Cadet

My 2010 Expedition 6 speed still changes gears frequently during towing even in tow haul mode. Didn't have this problem with my old Expedition. Anybody with real facts about 6 speeds? It still wants to shift up to a higher gear around 60 MPH to reduce the RPM but can't maintain the speed without downshifting. Old Expedition got up to 2800 RPM and stayed there at 60-65.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

the one thing I really like about tow/haul is that it automatically downshifts when you are going down a steep hill which is great on the brakes and really helps with slowing down or stopping.

Isn't that an excellent feature? My Tundra does that too and I love it. In the Tundra, you can tap the brake pedal twice (really quick taps) and it will downshift again. So if its in 6th gear and it automatically shifts to 5th on a down hill, you can tap tap the brake and it will shift into 4th to slow you down even more.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

My 2010 Expedition 6 speed still changes gears frequently during towing even in tow haul mode. Didn't have this problem with my old Expedition. Anybody with real facts about 6 speeds? It still wants to shift up to a higher gear around 60 MPH to reduce the RPM but can't maintain the speed without downshifting. Old Expedition got up to 2800 RPM and stayed there at 60-65.

It seems like all 6 speeds do this. It gets worse when you don't have a lot of torque. IMO, the Expy with a 5.4L doesn't have the torque to use a 6 speed (this will change when they put the 411 horse V8 in them), but they put the 6 speed in them now to help with fuel economy. Just watch your tranny temp and change the fluid at the recommended intervals.

scooper77515

Thread got off-topic, but lots of good information shared.

Thanks, guys!:)

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manual says to change rear axle fluid at 30k intervals. Or 15k if you haul a trailer.

I haul a trailer 5 miles, twice a day, 1, sometimes two days a week. So that is a total of 10-20 miles weekly.

I drive to work 4 days a week at 50 miles each way, then another 20 miles a day while I am there.

I don't tow or haul at work.

So I sorta average out the interval to 25k miles for a rear change. I have so far gotten 170k on this rear and it still looks brand new when I go in to clean and swap fluids.

Do you suggest swapping the rear fluid every 15k miles with this pattern of use? I would be swapping rear fluid about once every other month...:confused:
ok, when i did mine i looked the service interval in alldata, and over on the dodge forum thats all you read about. but if your not finding dirty or metallic fluid i would do what you do, sounds like its working.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Explorer pro comp at seem to last forever and ride nice.