Popping and creaking during backing normal?

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my 1st tandem axle trailer with a 4000 lb boat on it. During backing and manuervering I hear popping and creaking going on. I can understand the forces going on back there as I see the front axle tires are being forced to slide and give due to different radius turns of front vs back, but is all that noise normal and if not, what should I look for that may be broken?

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Popping and creaking during backing normal?

Mine does it too. Lubing the spring ends and equalizer may help.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine too !!!!

I've re-newed spring eye bushings, cleaned and lubed the springs, done a 'nut'n' bolt check and the darn thing still pops and squeaks during 90 degree back-ups from the road to the driveway!!! As soon as the trailer is out of a severe turn (only in reverse) the noises disappear. I'm beginning to believe the noise is coming from between the galvanized angle that the axles are mounted to and the aluminum I beams (though the fasteners are tight and no apparent shifting).
One of these days I'll jack her up and investigate.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I get the normal sounds during the slow speed maneuvers, whether in forward or reverse.

Figure, at least on my Aluminum Bunk, Tandem, torsion sprung trailer, all it is held together is by U-Bolts and other bolts, metal to metal. In a very good way, it flexes and thus, all the sounds.

I suppose spraying some lube in every joint would help, but probably not for long as the first dunk would have washed it all off.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

This is my 1st tandem axle trailer with a 4000 lb boat on it. During backing and manuervering I hear popping and creaking going on. I can understand the forces going on back there as I see the front axle tires are being forced to slide and give due to different radius turns of front vs back, but is all that noise normal and if not, what should I look for that may be broken?

this could be a dumb question, but here goes.

your not trying to back up with a surge brake trailer are you?

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I move quite a few trailers like like that during boat storage season and man some of the trailer noises and flexing those axles do is downright scary.
I will say I've never seen a wheel broke off an axle on the side of the road around here and there are alot of boats being trailered.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why, is that not supposed to happen ... :confused:

jtmarten

I back mine up all the time; surge brakes on both axles. Back it up hills, down hills, and everything in between.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

What I think jaxnjil is referring to is whether or not the OP has a reverse lockout solenoid.

To the OP. If you aren't outfitted with a reverse lockout solenoid and you back up the trailer brakes could engage. It would be more pronounced if backing up a hill and shouldn't engage the brakes if backing down a hill.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Most of the noise is coming from springs moving around in the equalizer.

The equalizer is used to distribute keep equal weight on all for tire while the trailer flexes. For the most part it?s the pivot point between the axles and the trailer.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, it's a surge brake trailer. I don't see a lockout mechanism on it ( I don't know where to look). Braking during backing doesn't seem to be the issue, just the noise.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I think jaxnjil is referring to is whether or not the OP has a reverse lockout solenoid.

To the OP. If you aren't outfitted with a reverse lockout solenoid and you back up the trailer brakes could engage. It would be more pronounced if backing up a hill and shouldn't engage the brakes if backing down a hill.

Wouldn't a lockout solenoid require an electric circuit? Is so, I've a standard 4 pin hookup so I don't think I have one.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, if you have electric lock out, you'd have a 5 pin connector. I had '76 Rolco trailer that would creak and pop a lot while maneurvering in reverse. Lubing up the ends of the springs would solve it temporarily, but never would make it go away, just the fact of having an old trailer I guess.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

yes this was what i was asking for. should have been more clear.

we had a surge break trailer a few years ago that had a mechanical hinge you needed to rotate down to facilitate moving in revers. it was such a pain to use, if moving a short distance i would forgo it and back up. any small bump ect. would cause it to activate the brakes and make for noisy jerky movement.

i think the noise you are now talking about is normal as explained above.

if you were to turn sharp back and forth, drive over a curb, or other wise watch closely you would notice it does it going forward also.

i think you notice it more backing for a few reasons.
your going slower and most folk will back with there window down. right there you will hear-notice more.
generally backing requires you to try to spot your trailer in a small area at much slower speed in tighter quarters. I have watched many others at the ramps and storage areas. I and most every one I have watched tend make many more steering inputs than driving straight. each time the trailer swings from side to side you change the tracking load on the springs and tires thence the squeaking and popping???

as this last paragraph is strictly an observation of mine feel free to comment. in no way am throwing it out as gospel

lastly after watching 3 axle boat trailer crack and pop and drag tires i was mortified at the thought of having to buy and use a 4 axle. after having done so, i have noticed when backing my 2 axle i have become more aware of cramping it and dont swing it around near as much.
:D

jtmarten

I don't have a lockout solenoid. They're generally only required if running disc brakes.

jtmarten

yes this was what i was asking for. should have been more clear.

we had a surge break trailer a few years ago that had a mechanical hinge you needed to rotate down to facilitate moving in revers. it was such a pain to use, if moving a short distance i would forgo it and back up. any small bump ect. would cause it to activate the brakes and make for noisy jerky movement.

lastly after watching 3 axle boat trailer crack and pop and drag tires i was mortified at the thought of having to buy and use a 4 axle. after having done so, i have noticed when backing my 2 axle i have become more aware of cramping it and dont swing it around near as much.
:D

Ahh, one of the old-time brake systems without freebacking shoes. Those suck. Well worth the $45 for each backing plate assy to upgrade.

+1 on being kind to your trailer suspension and tires! My trailer can be a hassle @ almost 30' long, especially in town, fuelling up, etc, but I swing as wide as possible whenever possible.