i bought a trailer with no title in NJ now how do i register it

tvwbug

Recruit
ok, i bought a boat with a title and a trailer that the boat sits on has no title. it has a vin number from delaware my question is what is the best way to register the trailer without any BS from the nj dmv?

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: i bought a trailer with no title in NJ now how do i register it

I don't know all the legalities, but I've purchased a trailer (not boat trailer) with no title before and just registered it as homemade. I don't think they really care as long as they get their $45 a year in trailer registration fees.

Good luck!

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree. In NY, it's relatively easy to register as home made. Here, you get it weighed (at a gravel pit), make an appointment to have it inspected (basically they check it over to make sure it is sound for road travel), and not stolen. When it passes, they give you the vin to stamp into it and take it to get it registered. Good luck with it.

Philster

Captain

Do you have a 'certificate or origin' for the trailer?

Do you know who made it and the serial number?

Do you have any proof of sale for trailer OR boat?

If you ask the Motor Vehicle Department, they'll tell you exactly what to do.

This is from their site:

You will need to present a notarized bill of sale or a notarized statement of receipt from the seller that includes the following:
Year, make and serial number
Name of buyer and purchase price
Date and sellers signature

Under 2500 lbs = no title, registration only is needed*

*A 27 foot boat would have a trailer weighing 1300 lbs (just as a guide) -- info added by Philster

tvwbug

Recruit

i have a bill of sale for the boat and trailer, however based on a conversation with the guy i bought them from the boat was in his wifes name and he wasnt sure if the trailer was registered to his brother or not. i registered the boat in my name with no problem. what i dont want to happen is if i try to register the trailer using the bill of sale and the names dont match i might have a problem. there is a delaware vin number plate on the trailer, if only i could find out who it is registered too. i tried to contact the guy who sold it to me but so far no response from him.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Trailers in NJ do not require a title in order to register, unless they've been previously titled in another state. If it had/has a Delaware title, you'll need the title to register in NJ.

If you can't get the title, you can try registering it as homemade; many people have done this (sometimes to register a stolen trailer).

The trailer registration/title is separate from the boat. The trailer can have a different owner from the boat.

If a title does not exist, you can register the trailer with a bill of sale and certificate of origin.

All this information is available from the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.