How do you title a trailer in Arizona

jolio55

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to buy a boat and trailer from a guy here in Arizona. He says he has the registration for the boat and he has a bill of sale for the trailer. The guy selling it said he bought it from out of state and was given a bill of sale for the trailer.

My question is how do I go about getting a title for the trailer? I know that I would be getting a bill of sale from the current owner but how do I go about turning that into a title in the state of Arizona?? I would hate to buy this thing and end up not being able to get a title for it...

Thanks in advance for the replies!!!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: How do you title a trailer in....

Some states require trailer titles, other do not. Here in Texas, no trailer titles...we simply have to register it with the county for a license plate. Check your AZ regs...dept. of motor vehicles should have the answer. Maybe an Arizona boat owner will chime in soon....change your thread title to include Arizona to get more hits/views/answers.

Baytown.boy

Seaman

Here in Texas, we declare it as a "home built trailer" that's all there is, no bill of sale, just say "home built"

jolio55

Seaman Apprentice

Here in Texas, we declare it as a "home built trailer" that's all there is, no bill of sale, just say "home built"

Yeah I have read that some people do that. I am just the kind of person that likes to have all my ducks in a row. Especially with paperwork and on any purchases I am making. Is declaring the trailer as home built legal in Texas? Unfortunately I am the kind of person that likes doing everything "by the book"....

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do you title a trailer in Arizona

Dang I just left AZ 3 years ago and can't remember if they title or not. I know they permanent register all non-commercial trailers less than 10000 GVW. But regardless of what they do I would not buy it without a title or registration that is in the sellers name. You don't want that hassle if something goes wrong with the serial number search. Most people don't realize that it is actually illegal to sell or buy vehicles, and trailers without proper title and registration. Boats are registered through the AZ G&F. If he has the registration in his name there will be a place for seller to sign on the back of it if not title is required. Does the trailer have AZ plates?

jolio55

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the trailer does currently have AZ plates on it.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys,

Let's cut to the chase!!! What's the LAW in arizona regarding crossing the chains??? ;) ;) :)