Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baytown.boy
    started a topic Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Just find out at the boat ramp by a policeman, Texas state law is, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS! If you don't, they will give you a ticket.

• kemo111
    replied
    Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Just my 2 cents: I once got pulled over in Cleveland, TX for only placing one foot down at a red light while riding a motorcycle. My point is the police do not always know the law. The officer argued with me for 15 minutes and failed to write me a ticket I believe his dispatch told him he was full of crap. That being said I always use safety chains. One of my trailers because of the way the chains are attached to the trailer by the manufacturer crossing would not matter in any way.

Leave a comment:

• eli_lilly
    replied

Originally posted by bigdee View Post
    How can you tell if they are crossed???? Even better,HOW do you cross them on a single beam tongue?
    Mine are bolted horizontally, so one chain comes out of each side of the beam. But yeah, I see your point.

-E

Leave a comment:

• bigdee
    replied

How can you tell if they are crossed???? Even better,HOW do you cross them on a single beam tongue?

Leave a comment:

• tanuki
    replied

Just wondering about the trailers with a spare tire wheel bolted to the front vertically......what would happen if the trailer disconnected and the spare bottomed out to the road surface before the "crossed chains"? Would the skidding rubber help stop the trailer or make the rear of the trailer come up over the top of the tow vehicle as would the tongue if it hit a pothole when disconnected? Just sayin'....

Leave a comment:

• JStrom
    replied

Just what we need, more government telling us what we can and can't do. What a waste of taxpayer money.

Leave a comment:

• 90stingray
    replied

Originally posted by JimKW View Post
    My trailer has cables not chains. Should I cross them or replace them with chains?
    Mine had the coil'd cables when i bought it... i hated them. Had them as safety cables on coupler and winch safety on the boat. Unbolted those and disposed of them. I welded on chains to replace those cables. Life is good.

Edit: I read thru most of this thread... missed the part that its a two year old thread. Dang. Still good info.

Leave a comment:

• scumfrog44
    replied

and of course it won't hurt to have a cigar and intern in the truck
    when you get busted.

Leave a comment:

• Maclin
    replied

The chains can be attached at one point on the trailer, but they will (should) be connected to separate hooks on each side of the hitch on the tow vehicle. The length of the chains is one of the factors in creating the proper cradle potential.

Leave a comment:

• Chip Chester
    replied

jay_merrill wrote:
    "At high speeds, if the trailer comes off the hitch, IMO they are more dangerous than having the trailer separate from the vehicle."

More dangerous to you? Good, it's your trailer. More dangerous to others? No good. The trailer is your responsibility, and if necessary, the albatross around your neck.

Just sayin'.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• spyder9179
    replied

Originally posted by sltintexas View Post
    I'm 36, I've owned a boat for about 8 years and pulled a trailer for lawn mowing for about 8 years.

I've never heard about crossing chains. I'll start today, thx for the post.
    Right there with you. I'm 37, and while I'm new to boating, I grew up on a farm, so I've been pulling trailers in some respect for 25 years. Never heard of crossing them. And while you all can debate the merits of doing so, if it keeps me from getting a ticket, that's what I'll do.

Leave a comment:

• jbetzelb
    replied

OK I will get on a 2 year old thread. I have always crossed my trailer chains except my boat trailer. It has two chains connected at one point on the trailer. After I thought about a single connection point it kind of made sense. If it drops off the ball those two chains are going to kind of lock the toung in between them. Once it slams up under the back of the truck it wouldn't let it sway more than about 6 inches either way. Single connection point seems to allow for shorter chains. They are connected about a foot behind the ball mount and have enough slack that they clear the bottom of the ball by 2 inches so I can turn both ways with nothing catching.

Leave a comment:

• lamphega
    replied

I have always beefed up my chains when getting new trailer with threaded D clips on end. And when a coupler let loose at 60+ on the interstate I kept my trailer behind me and was able to stop with no damage except to my nerves. Could feel that baby yank and crank but I didn't lose it. Snailed my way to off ramp and redid coupler. Another time in winter snow driver in front of me spun out. Got truck and trailer 95% past then she spun back into my lane and my trailer wheel hit her car, ran right over the front fender and hood. Broke the coupler, wheel, axle and all. Had a few seconds of terror as I went off-roding into median. When I finally stopped trailer still connected. Trailer had to be towed that time but Wife and I got home safe. We shook for about an hour but we were safe, Thankfully so was other driver. Some people might say I am overly concerned with safety. No such thing is my motto.

Leave a comment:

• roscoe
    replied

Originally posted by Willnott View Post
    And do what? Attach it at the same point as the other one? In fact where else CAN it be attached. NOW, think about it - you have two chains attached to the same point - how will "crossing" them form a cradle??? Physics and geometry do not lie - you might be able to twist them some, but they will never form a cradle. A cradle is only ever formed if chains are attached at somewhat separated lateral points.

Now, why don't you go and teach your less than erudite legislators a lesson in geometry?
    Its really not that hard.

You use a bolt thru the tongue or the back of the coupler.
    You attach one chain to each side.
    You cross the chains under the coupler, several times if needed to shorten up the chains.

I think you can do it, give it a try.

The real hard part is to find an attachment point on the tow vehicle, that is high enough to keep the tongue off the ground if it should become uncoupled.

Leave a comment:

• Thalasso
    replied

You do know, the thread is two years old????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X