Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Just wondering about the trailers with a spare tire wheel bolted to the front vertically......what would happen if the trailer disconnected and the spare bottomed out to the road surface before the "crossed chains"? Would the skidding rubber help stop the trailer or make the rear of the trailer come up over the top of the tow vehicle as would the tongue if it hit a pothole when disconnected? Just sayin'....

bigdee

Commander

How can you tell if they are crossed???? Even better,HOW do you cross them on a single beam tongue?

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

How can you tell if they are crossed???? Even better,HOW do you cross them on a single beam tongue?

Mine are bolted horizontally, so one chain comes out of each side of the beam. But yeah, I see your point.

-E

kemo111

Cadet

Just my 2 cents: I once got pulled over in Cleveland, TX for only placing one foot down at a red light while riding a motorcycle. My point is the police do not always know the law. The officer argued with me for 15 minutes and failed to write me a ticket I believe his dispatch told him he was full of crap. That being said I always use safety chains. One of my trailers because of the way the chains are attached to the trailer by the manufacturer crossing would not matter in any way.