Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Baytown.boy

Seaman
Just find out at the boat ramp by a policeman, Texas state law is, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS! If you don't, they will give you a ticket.

nlain

Commander
Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

I always thought that was the only way to hook them up, it is at least the only way that makes sense, the crossed chains are there to catch the trailer tongue if it comes loose.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Should be the law everywhere. I'm always amazed when someone watches me cross the chains at hook up and asks why? Usually guys who should know. Oh well. Fightin' the good fight.:cool:

j_martin

Admiral

If you take a quick look at the geometry, crossed chains also allow the chains to be shorter (with better control) without binding when turning.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Do you think you should twist them together, too? A guy at the U-haul place recently did that when I rented a trailer; as long as it's not too tight to turn, seems to be a good idea.
I have always crossed them once, too, but learned (the hard way, I'll confess) that the chains were too long to catch the trailer tongue and hold it up to a good height. It should be obvious, although folks don't think it through, that if the tongue is down to the pavement and jams in a pothole or something, you are truly screwed.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with Jmartin (as usual)....

Dad has tought me to cross/twist chains as much as you can ever since I've helped him hook up the trailers. Now I do it on all of my own trailers, even replaced the trailer that came with cables with a chain so I can cross them nicely.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Another point...... hooks go through hitch plate from top down or rear forward.... LOTS of people hook em backwards thinking they are more secure.... I always win that debate buy hooking them both ways and shaking the chains..... I can make the backwards ones fall out but not the others

yes cross but no don't twist..... it reduces their strength ALOT... if they are too long CUT them or install a split link to make a loop.... generally the chains won't hold the tongue up off the road even if they are crossed.... If it hits a pothole it will gouge the road and bend some steel..... If your trailer comes unhooked you have already screwed up.... the chains are a last ditch effort to save lives.... they aren't there to keep your equipment from being damaged.... The boat and trailer may destroy itself and the back of your tow vehicle.. It may swerve back and forth very violently..... If you have break away brakes make sure you have the trip cable short enough and hooked up.

broark01

Cadet

Is the law specific to chains or does it also cover heavy duty coiled cables?

PDubs

Seaman

Can someone post a pic of this so I know what the heck you guys are talking about? :)

Philster

Captain

PIC

crisscross_chains.jpg

PIC

129_0607_03_z+trailer_towing_tips+safety_chains.jpg

Philster

Captain

I have cables with the closing D clamps I posted above and I cross 'em.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On my trailer it would matter if I crossed the chains.
Both ends of the chain are bolted on top of each other.

Jordeez98

Seaman

I always thought that was the only way to hook them up......

Ditto...growing up with a father owning a lawn biz..i learned that was the only/best way and it stuck with me...BUT didn't realize that it was ever actually made a law in some states...I must check FL then for kicks :)

kentuckyguy

Seaman

I have always crossed or twisted the chains.. Not just to catch the trailer if it comes off.. I always had to or they would drag the ground...

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I still get amazed at how many trailers I see at the launch without any chains at all on the trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In most states, the law read that the chains are to prevent the trailer from striking the ground if it should come loose.

No really possible on many of the trailers, or tow vehicles on the roads today, but thats the law and intent.

Baytown.boy

Seaman

That's what started it all. I only live about 10 minutes from the boat ramp here on the bayou, and hardly ever hook up the chains or lights. I go the back way and there is no traffic. I was at the ramp and this off duty policeman was loading his boat and told me about the law. H did not, but could have given me a ticket, just a nice guy, so now I hook and go legally.
You take the right side chain and hook it on the left side on the truck and do the same with the left side, hook it on the right side of the truck.

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good info, thank you.

oldjeep

Admiral

So what are you supposed to do if you run a heavy double ball hitch? The only way my chains are getting crossed is if they get extended 4 inches.

And the pictures of that pintle are ridiculous. No way in hell chains that size are going to secure that trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

So what are you supposed to do if you run a heavy double ball hitch? The only way my chains are getting crossed is if they get extended 4 inches.

ANSWER: Extend the chains 4"