Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

jay_merrill wrote:
    "At high speeds, if the trailer comes off the hitch, IMO they are more dangerous than having the trailer separate from the vehicle."

More dangerous to you? Good, it's your trailer. More dangerous to others? No good. The trailer is your responsibility, and if necessary, the albatross around your neck.

Just sayin'.

Chip
    Chip
    http://www.mobility-advisor.com/wheelchair-donations.html

Comment

The chains can be attached at one point on the trailer, but they will (should) be connected to separate hooks on each side of the hitch on the tow vehicle. The length of the chains is one of the factors in creating the proper cradle potential.
      2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

and of course it won't hurt to have a cigar and intern in the truck
        when you get busted.

Comment

Originally posted by JimKW View Post
          My trailer has cables not chains. Should I cross them or replace them with chains?
          Mine had the coil'd cables when i bought it... i hated them. Had them as safety cables on coupler and winch safety on the boat. Unbolted those and disposed of them. I welded on chains to replace those cables. Life is good.

Edit: I read thru most of this thread... missed the part that its a two year old thread. Dang. Still good info.
          1990 Stingray 536ZPX 4.3 Mercruiser - SOLD
          2001 Glastron GX185 4.3 Mercruiser - SOLD
          2012 Yamaha SX190 1.8L Jet Boat
          Tow rig - 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Just what we need, more government telling us what we can and can't do. What a waste of taxpayer money.

Comment

Just wondering about the trailers with a spare tire wheel bolted to the front vertically......what would happen if the trailer disconnected and the spare bottomed out to the road surface before the "crossed chains"? Would the skidding rubber help stop the trailer or make the rear of the trailer come up over the top of the tow vehicle as would the tongue if it hit a pothole when disconnected? Just sayin'....

Comment

How can you tell if they are crossed???? Even better,HOW do you cross them on a single beam tongue?
                The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

Originally posted by bigdee View Post
                  How can you tell if they are crossed???? Even better,HOW do you cross them on a single beam tongue?
                  Mine are bolted horizontally, so one chain comes out of each side of the beam. But yeah, I see your point.

-E

Comment

Just my 2 cents: I once got pulled over in Cleveland, TX for only placing one foot down at a red light while riding a motorcycle. My point is the police do not always know the law. The officer argued with me for 15 minutes and failed to write me a ticket I believe his dispatch told him he was full of crap. That being said I always use safety chains. One of my trailers because of the way the chains are attached to the trailer by the manufacturer crossing would not matter in any way.

Comment

Working...
                    X