Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Originally posted by korygrandy View Post
    I was riding with a friend when his trailer came unhitched without crossed chains. The trailer bounced left, then right until breaks were applied at which point it slammed into the back of the truck and he used the truck to stop the trailer.

If you add one of those d clamps or bolt the chains together closer to the toungue it will create an effective basket that will create a nice basket. This is pointless if you have too long of a chain. I think the safest thing would be to test it. That's what I did...the correct length of chain will hold my trailer tongue off the ground.
    with that picture, your crossed chains would do absolutely zero to hold it off the ground, and the crossed portion would be above the tongue nearly instantly.

Don't believe me? Give it a try. Unhook your coupler and let the trailer drop. It MIGHT stay in the cross at this point, now idle your vehicle forward. $20 says it doesn't stay in there and is dragging on the concrete.

Comment

Its pretty durn simple, hook em, cross em and no ticket, don't hook em and don't cross em and get the ticket. Even in Texas I was told a game warden can give you a ticket for no crossed chains, jus saying.
      Check you states law and obid by it, or get the ticket, pretty simple. I would cross and rather not pay a nice fine to the ol gov. All the talk in the world is not going to save you from the ticket if the ol policeman wants to give you a ticket. He only goes by the law, and not your opinion. Sometimes your opinion can lead to more checking of any other infractions on your trailer or truck, I know!, Hey, I'm Scotch/Irish and pretty damn sturborn, hard headed, but my money is my money, not theirs!! Besides, that big fine can buy a lot of lures, new rod, and reel LOL
      Good fishin and be safe.
      Paddle faster Bubba, I think I hear banjos getting louder and closer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldjeep View Post
        I wouldn't put much stock in this one:
        http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

They're completely wrong on the MN law regarding trailer brakes.
        I don't know about their brake laws, but since the thread was started about chains....

From Minnesota statutes 2009
        sec 169.82
        subdivision 3
        paragraph b

Subd. 3.Hitch, chain, or cable.(a) Every trailer or semitrailer must be hitched to the towing motor vehicle by a device approved by the commissioner of public safety.

(b) Every trailer and semitrailer must be equipped with safety chains or cables permanently attached to the trailer except in cases where the coupling device is a regulation fifth wheel and kingpin assembly approved by the commissioner of public safety. In towing, the chains or cables must be attached to the vehicles near the points of bumper attachments to the chassis of each vehicle, and must be of sufficient strength to control the trailer in the event of failure of the towing device. The length of chain or cable must be no more than necessary to permit free turning of the vehicles
        Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Comment

Originally posted by HappierWet View Post
          I don't know about their brake laws, but since the thread was started about chains....

From Minnesota statutes 2009
          sec 169.82
          subdivision 3
          paragraph b
          So it looks like no crossing of chains is required in MN

As for the brakes, the law is anything over 3K needs brakes:

Subd. 3.Trailer, semitrailer.(a) No trailer or semitrailer with a gross vehicle weight of 3,000 or more pounds, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, may be drawn on a highway unless it is equipped with brakes that are adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the trailer or semitrailer. A surge brake on a trailer or semitrailer meets the requirement of this paragraph for brakes adequate to stop and hold the trailer or semitrailer.
          2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
          2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Originally posted by smokingcrater View Post
            with that picture, your crossed chains would do absolutely zero to hold it off the ground, and the crossed portion would be above the tongue nearly instantly.

Don't believe me? Give it a try. Unhook your coupler and let the trailer drop. It MIGHT stay in the cross at this point, now idle your vehicle forward. $20 says it doesn't stay in there and is dragging on the concrete.
            How about if the only thing it does is keep it from hurtling into another lane of traffic and killing someone?
            Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Comment

Originally posted by HappierWet View Post
              How about if the only thing it does is keep it from hurtling into another lane of traffic and killing someone?
              And why wouldn't having the chains straight perform that same function? Uncrossed you are going to get a little more side to side movement but not much. Especially since the chains on most small trailers are a single chain attached to the bottom of the frame with a bolt. On my car trailer which has separate chains, the separation is about 2" - wouldn't make a bit of difference if they were crossed.
              2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

This is a pretty standard looking setup for a small boat trailer. You could cross them, but what would be the benefit?

[img]http://www.**************************/userportal/woeimages/TRAILER/2664.jpg[/img]
                2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

this is a pretty standard looking setup for a small boat trailer. You could cross them, but what would be the benefit?

[img]http://www.**************************/userportal/woeimages/trailer/2664.jpg[/img]

just the false sense of security, like having your seat as a flotation device on a plane in case of a water landing :d
                  NEWB FAQ and other good info:

is my floor/transom/stringers rotted out? Yes your DECK is, and no you should'nt just patch a small part.

should I use foam? yes

polyester or epoxy? epoxy

{insert any other shortcut restoration question here**? and the answer is still NO!

my 1984 Stratos Bass Boat Restoration>
                  https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=404575

Comment

[QUOTE=oldjeep;2812767]This is a pretty standard looking setup for a small boat trailer. You could cross them, but what would be the benefit?

I go one step further and add a H.D. lock where the arrow is pointing to in the pic below. Hey don't make fun of my red lines, I have only had one cup of coffee this morning, LOL
                    Attached Files
                    Paddle faster Bubba, I think I hear banjos getting louder and closer!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Baytown.boy;2812825]
                      This is a pretty standard looking setup for a small boat trailer. You could cross them, but what would be the benefit?

I go one step further and add a H.D. lock where the arrow is pointing to in the pic below
                      LOL - or at least a pin might be a good idea. It was just a random picture from the internet. Didn't even notice the pin was missing.
                      2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

[img]http://www.**************************/userportal/woeimages/TRAILER/2664.jpg[/img]
                        The benefit of crossing the chains would be: no ticket.

The bigger issue is the law says the chains must be of adequete capacity to hold to gross weight of the trailer.

Not only chains but the hardware on the ends too.

Also, chains should be attached via proper chain connections. Welding a chain is not a good idea especially with high-test alloy chains. And too many under experienced welders will put too much heat into a weld, signifcantly weakening the chain link.
                        Simply bolting the link to the trailer is also not the best, but certainly a very common method.

Comment

On the you tube video i tlooks like the trailer stayed attached to the truck and the boat stayed attached to the winch cable!

Twisting chains may weaken them somewhat, but you don't know if it would weaken them to the point of failure, but being shortened by twisting, they are more likely to hold the tongue off the ground. So all in all you may be safer with them twisted.

Of course all of this depends on the rig's various dimensions.

If your trailer has a resting bracket under the tongue, why not cross them through there, so they will hold the trailer up better?
                          A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

I've read that crossing the chains helps reduce the sway when the coupler falls off.

-E

Comment

To me the chains in the pic are in the wrong place, they should be attached further back on the tongue, where they are they won't do much good, I do see the little resting bracket under the tongue, the chains should be attached behind that bracket and then crossed.
                              http://www.facebook.com/iloveboating

2004 Sea Ray 185 Sport, 4.3L,190, Alpha
                              1994 GMC 4X4 1500, 5.7L

Comment

From the beginning of my boating experience from my Dad, crossing the chains was good. It was also standard knowledge that crossing the streams was considered bad, in Ghostbusters.

Comment

Working...
                                X