Smallest vehicle to pull 18-19' boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicy724

Cadet
Hi!
I am searching around for the smallest vehicle that may tow an 18-19' boat well. I am used to cars, but hubby says our next car has to be an SUV so it can tow a boat.
I am looking for something that is multipurpose, and can tow. It would be an everyday vehicle.. but can tow.
I am not very interested in domestic cars for some reason. I've always had and prefer a foreign. However, as long as Fords, Chevys, etc. are good vehicles, I could consider them. In my experience, foreigns last longer. We only have one new car at a time, so it has to last at least 8-10 years or so. I think our budget would be capped at just over $20k as well so I am sure it would need to be a used/few years old.

Thank you in advance!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smallest vehicle to pull 18-19' boat?

You are asking a question that can't be answered (at least accurately) since you've provided no real useful information about how you drive, where you drive, the type/style of boat, the number of passengers along when towing, etc. An 18 - 19 foot boat can range from less than 2000 pounds to over 4000 pounds. Add a trailer, people in the car, fuel and batteries in the boat, safety gear, fishing/skiing/water toys and the weight goes up dramatically. One thing is certain -- cars are out of the question. You are looking at a crossover SUV minimum. Depending upon ramp conditions, four wheel or all wheel drive may be required. If you live in the flat land of America then that says you need less power than if you live in hilly/mountainous terrain. Pulling something is one thing, handling and stopping the load is another. The number of miles you drive NOT towing vs the miles you ARE towing can impact the overall costs as well. If you don't put on many miles each year, why worry so much about vehicle size and fuel costs. On the other hand if you are a high mileage family then fuel economy is an issue. So you have three basic ways to approach this. 1) Buy a vehicle you can afford and can live with and THEN buy a boat that this vehicle can tow. 2) Buy the boat you want and need and then buy the tow vehicle that can handle the load. 3) Buy a small car as a daily driver and an older truck or SUV for towing duty. And just so you know, American cars are at or near the top of the quality charts. If you've watched the news recently, Toyota has not exactly been a shining star in the quality department. Then there are the tricks Honda has played in the past where they tell dealers to fix vehicles in which they spot defects while the vehicle is in for routine service. Very noble indeed, except the dealers are told not to tell the customer the repair was made. Hard to report problems when the customer doesn't know his car had a problem.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

And just so you know, American cars are at or near the top of the quality charts.

Agree with with everything silvertip said except that. American cars are known for their low quality. Toyota may have a slip up with their gas pedal issue. The media took that had a field day. However, I do wonder why the media fail to mention any word about Ford's same gas pedal issue?

I'll buy any cars that are well built. The recent melt down of American auto industry is just the wake up call we needed. But to say American cars are on the top when it comes to quality is simply not true. They are working on it, it's going to take a few years to get there.

chicy724, for sure car is out of the question. You'll need at least a SUV. 2000lb boat can be tow with a small SUV like Honda Element. Once you get into the 400lb range, a truck may be needed if you also got a lot of cargo.

B

chicy724

Cadet

Thanks, I guess I didn't realize there are so many factors.
We live in Florida. It's pretty flat! We may need to go over a sloped bridge or two depending where we took it.
We'd be getting a ski boat, probably under/around the 2k pound range.
We do not drive much. It would be low mileage, so I guess we don't have to worry too much about the MPGs though I'd prefer something that is good on MPGs either way.
We would certainly need it to be an everyday vehicle that can tow. We do not have the room for three vehicles AND a boat, unfortunately.
I was hoping a Toyota or Honda would pop up for suggestions. I like CR-V but they do not tow, I guess. I've looked at Rav4 but am hard pressed to find a used 6cyl one so that it can tow.
Honda Element= Uggggllyyy ;)
What about Hyundai's? I generally say NOOOOO Hyundai, but I read everywhere that they are good quality for not so much $$.. but is this true??

One Legged Josh

Recruit

Jeep liberty comes to mind, with a 4500-5000 lb tow rating and decent gas mileage to boot. They are plentiful with low miles.

Good luck.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We like our 4Runner. It is Mrs Ms daily driver. It tows boats and enclosed trailers ( under 5k#)just fine with the V6. The boat is a Four winns 18 footer, I/O btw. Decent mileage too, though bigger in overall size than what you were indicating you liked.

cheetah90

Seaman

Thanks, I guess I didn't realize there are so many factors.
We live in Florida. It's pretty flat! We may need to go over a sloped bridge or two depending where we took it.
We'd be getting a ski boat, probably under/around the 2k pound range.
We do not drive much. It would be low mileage, so I guess we don't have to worry too much about the MPGs though I'd prefer something that is good on MPGs either way.
We would certainly need it to be an everyday vehicle that can tow. We do not have the room for three vehicles AND a boat, unfortunately.
I was hoping a Toyota or Honda would pop up for suggestions. I like CR-V but they do not tow, I guess. I've looked at Rav4 but am hard pressed to find a used 6cyl one so that it can tow.
What about Hyundai's? I generally say NOOOOO Hyundai, but I read everywhere that they are good quality for not so much $$.. but is this true??

So sad :rolleyes:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

A CR-V would be on the bottom of the list.
A ski type boat in that size loaded with the trailer,fuel,gear and passengers will be well over 2000 pounds.

A mid size SUV is built more on a truck platform and will do so much better of a job.
Remember it must be able to stop the load being pulled too.

Got to agree on the American made for towing....
Chevy or Ford would be my first choices but that's just me...:rolleyes:

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would recommend a chevy tahoe or suburban

chicy724

Cadet

A CR-V would be on the bottom of the list.
A ski type boat in that size loaded with the trailer,fuel,gear and passengers will be well over 2000 pounds.

A mid size SUV is built more on a truck platform and will do so much better of a job.
Remember it must be able to stop the load being pulled too.

Got to agree on the American made for towing....
Chevy or Ford would be my first choices but that's just me...:rolleyes:

Thanks. I do need to consider everything like gear and such. And stopping. I admit, I am clueless. We do not know the first thing about towing.
I may consider Ford... Explorer or something. I've just seen many friends with Fords and after a while they are constantly needing repairs.. especially after being 6 years old or so. I need to be able to keep my car for at least 8ish years because hubby and I will not pay two car payments at once.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, go easy on my giant cooler on wheel. :p:p It's by far, the versatile vehicle I have ever own. However, 2000lb would be pushing it for Element.

Brewman61

Ensign

Whatever you get, make sure it has an adequate reciever hitch, and a towing capacity a couple thousand pounds over the weight of your boat, motor, trailer and other cargo.
I like 4 wheel drive for pulling out of steep or slipprey launches. But that costs a couple hundred pounds of towing capacity over the equivalent 2 wheel drive.

pmjr0987

Seaman

Id say without a doubt Jeep, or 4 runner.

If i were you id go with a Jeep grand cherokee limited with the tried and true 4.0 I-6. If you are looking to keep the truck for 8+ years id recomend it above any other truck. They tow great, look great, parts are cheap and the motors are proven 200k+ reliable.

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couldn't of said it any better than Brewman. 4 wheel drive will cost a little more, and lower towing capacity slightly but it is well worth the extra money.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. I do need to consider everything like gear and such. And stopping. I admit, I am clueless. We do not know the first thing about towing.
I may consider Ford... Explorer or something. I've just seen many friends with Fords and after a while they are constantly needing repairs.. especially after being 6 years old or so. I need to be able to keep my car for at least 8ish years because hubby and I will not pay two car payments at once.

stay away from the Explorers...transmission problems, a really goofy sparkplug design the makes them break three different ways when you change them....stay away from Dodge Durangos as well, multiple problems with them ...I am an ASE Certified mechanic....Jeep Grand Cherokees have a multitude of problems as well...I would chose a Toyota 4 Runner , or a Nissan Pathfinder. I am currently hoping to find one for myself thru work...we get amazing deals on some vehicles...I am currently driving a sweet 1998 Camry I bought for $50.00.... I may have a really nice 1999 Pathfinder soon...customers wife wants to keep up with the Jones's it has under 98,000 miles on her , and is PRETTY. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.