Smallest vehicle to pull 18-19' boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Smallest vehicle to pull 18-19' boat?

Be careful with broad statements like mentioned about Grand Cherokees having a multitude of problems.. Most problems with vehicles are limited to a certain year/option, etc.. We bought an '04 Grand Cherokee with the inline 4.0L 6cyl, it's a great/trouble free vehicle, but that same year if you got the optional automatic climate control there was an issue with the "blend door actuator" in the dash that is incredibly expensive to have fixed.. We found a GC without that option to avoid that issue. Do some research at places like MSN Carpoint to check reliability ratings, reviewer feedback etc.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

crossover, or the best, the Honda Pilot. I think the Toyota Highlander will now tow decent too, but they are expensive.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always use to own Fords, but in my opinion it became apparent that foreign vehicles were much more reliable and longer lasting. I now own a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr sport. I only use to own SUVs and would have liked the luxury of a 4runner, but the versatility of owning a truck is great! I like being able to just throw wet towables, life vests, etc in the back of the truck instead of in the back of an SUV.

Finding the newest generation Taco (2005+) for under 20k shouldn't be too difficult as long as you don't mind an 05 or maybe an 06. You could find one a lot cheaper if you don't need the 4 door. It's also much roomier than the other "compact" pickups I've seen and get's the best gas mileage. I've owned my truck just over 3 years now and have 91,000 miles on it. I've averaged 19.5 to 22mpg at each fill up, but that's mostly highway use. It came with the towing package and is rated for up to 6,000lbs. It pulls my 18.5' Monterey with ease.

If you prefer something more roomy on the inside, my vote would definitely go for a 4runner.

On a side note, I'll gladly buy American again when they step up their game with reliability and gas mileage.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We just love our Trailblazer. :D

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I make my living off of all of them...lol... I just make more on the domestics... ;)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Bear in mind that once you add motor, fuel, gear, trailer weights to that 2000lb hull, you could easily be at 3500-4000lbs. Not to mention hauling people and gear in the vehicle.

To tow and haul that much weight safely is a job for a full-framed, full-sized pickup or SUV (e.g., F-150, Silverado 1500, Titan, Suburban; w/ at least the base v8). Anything less, regardless of any published tow ratings, is a disaster waiting to happen.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our 2010 dodge nitro heat came with anti-sway (hauling/towing) braking and the towing package was surprizingly cheap; all right at 20,000.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Our 2010 dodge nitro heat came with anti-sway (hauling/towing) braking and the towing package was surprizingly cheap; all right at 20,000.

And there's a good example; published tow rating is 5000lb, but I would not tow more than 2500-3000lb total (maybe a 15-17' bowrider) with that vehicle...it just doesn't have enough engine.

superbenk

Commander

I have an 03 Nissan Frontier XE 4x4 Crew Cab w/ the long bed. It's close to 98k miles on it & it tows my 18-19' Century 190 just fine. I think my Century is a bit on the heavy side for that size boat given that it is a closed bow from 30 years ago. The steel trailer is also probably a bit on the heavier size. I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing I'm pulling between 3500-4000 lbs fully loaded. My era Frontier is rated for 5000 lbs (note that the super-charged version of my truck, the SC, is only rated for 4500 lbs towing even though it has more HP). I added surge disc brakes to the trailer & now it feels much nicer towing. Just need to be sure to stay out of O/D.

(click for a couple other pics)

All that being said, we'd like to consider a slightly bigger boat (21-23'), so we'll probably look around for a full-sized F-150 or F-250 in the not-so-distant future.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Pulls the outfit in my signature plus 4 to 5 people and gear no problem.:D
Mrs Ken has christened it "Ted the Trailblazer":D:):D

Attachments

• Ted first day 06-23-10 001.jpg
    Ted first day 06-23-10 001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ted first day 06-23-10 002.jpg
    Ted first day 06-23-10 002.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Ted first day 06-23-10 003.jpg
    Ted first day 06-23-10 003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Ted first day 06-23-10 004.jpg
    Ted first day 06-23-10 004.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral

A few people have given you solid advice- the rest is questionable if not downright dangerous.

You need to pick your boat and determine the total weight of everything you intend to tow. 2000 lbs? No way. I absolutely agree with those telling you that the whole rig will likely weigh in the neighborhood of 3500-4000 lbs., but you won't know for sure until you know what you're buying

It's also going to be long. The distance from the trailer hitch to the transom of the boat is going to be 22 feet or so. Those advising you that a Liberty or a Nitro can safely pull that load are unknowingly putting you in jeopardy. They may have 5000 lbs towing capacity, but there's a big difference between pulling a heavy 12' utility trailer and 22' of boat. The short wheelbase of those cars will be a big issue. It's called 'the tail wagging the dog'. The boat is gonna push you around, maybe into an accident.

You're going to need a truck or SUV that's built on a full frame with a fairly long wheelbase. 4-wheel drive will get you down (and back up) the launch ramps without any drama. The specific car models you can choose from will depend on what you learn about the rig you're going to buy.

Good luck shopping for your boat. Be safe and keep everybody else on the road safe, too.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A few people have given you solid advice- the rest is questionable if not downright dangerous.

You need to pick your boat and determine the total weight of everything you intend to tow. 2000 lbs? No way. I absolutely agree with those telling you that the whole rig will likely weigh in the neighborhood of 3500-4000 lbs., but you won't know for sure until you know what you're buying

It's also going to be long. The distance from the trailer hitch to the transom of the boat is going to be 22 feet or so. Those advising you that a Liberty or a Nitro can safely pull that load are unknowingly putting you in jeopardy. They may have 5000 lbs towing capacity, but there's a big difference between pulling a heavy 12' utility trailer and 22' of boat. The short wheelbase of those cars will be a big issue. It's called 'the tail wagging the dog'. The boat is gonna push you around, maybe into an accident.

You're going to need a truck or SUV that's built on a full frame with a fairly long wheelbase. 4-wheel drive will get you down (and back up) the launch ramps without any drama. The specific car models you can choose from will depend on what you learn about the rig you're going to buy.

Good luck shopping for your boat. Be safe and keep everybody else on the road safe, too.

So what vehicle options do you suggest ????

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps the poster that said American cars are on the bottom of the list for quality has not been reading much lately. There are a number of Ford vehicles for example at or very near the top of the quality charts with GM and Chrysler having made excellent progress in recent years. But the American/Foreign debate will rage on for years so its not worth discussing. What is worth discussing is this vehicle size stuff. Case in point: My daughter just bought a new Toyota Corolla and is absolutely delighted that she averaged 32 MPG on a trip to South Dakota. She should be happy since she had a Dodge Dakota crew cab that on a good day got about 14 MPG. My point here is that my Impala that has a trunk large enough to live in, seats five comfortably, rides nice and has all the goodies does nearly as well (30 MPG) as the Corolla. I can also burn E85 which is currently 54 cents/gallon cheaper than E10. So is 2 MPG really that much of deal when considering a tow vehicle -- especially one that admittedly is not going to see high mileage trips. In my daughters case she understood the MPG thing but just liked the smaller car as she is an inner city commuter so parking and the job of just getting around makes her more comfortable in a small car.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

2002 - 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy, with the 6 or 8.
2004 Blazer

Ford Explorer Sportrac

est10_pg_015_ext_med.jpg

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/sporttrac/gallery/photos/

JoLin

Vice Admiral

So what vehicle options do you suggest ????

Off the top of my head, something like your Trailblazer will probably be more than adequate. Or an Explorer. Or a half-ton pickup. But as I said in my post...

The specific car models you can choose from will depend on what you learn about the rig you're going to buy.

Until he knows that, he can't make an informed decision. Once he does, he can start looking at suitable tow vehicles. He needs to consider tow capacity, tongue weight, GCWR and wheelbase.

It isn't rocket science, but it does require some research and thought, as opposed to just running out and buying a car because it has 5000 lbs. towing capacity.

My .02

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Off the top of my head, something like your Trailblazer will probably be more than adequate. Or an Explorer. Or a half-ton pickup. But as I said in my post...

The specific car models you can choose from will depend on what you learn about the rig you're going to buy.

Until he knows that, he can't make an informed decision. Once he does, he can start looking at suitable tow vehicles. He needs to consider tow capacity, tongue weight, GCWR and wheelbase.

It isn't rocket science, but it does require some research and thought, as opposed to just running out and buying a car because it has 5000 lbs. towing capacity.

My .02

Good answer !!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You can get a good used Tahoe or Suburban or Expedition these days for pretty cheap.
Instead of payments just buy an older used one and make it the tow vehicle.
The comment that they are too big is bull! When towing you can never go too big.
You will learn that the first time you need to do a panic stop and jam on the brakes.You will be glad you are driving that heavy vehicle.

I have driven trucks of all types and towed everything you could imagine and believe me things can happen quick.
Those little SUV vehicles can get out of shape fast at highway speeds.
The short wheelbase will get the sway going and it's an accident waiting to happen.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I bought my boat I could not tow with my 98 Volvo V70 that was only rated at 3300 lbs. My boat weighs just about that much, so I wanted something capable of towing 5,000 lbs with 4WD. I sold the Volvo for $3600 and bought a 98 GMC Envoy for $3500 and it tows great and has pelenty of room. I just towed the boat 900 miles and got 15 mpg towing at about 60 mph most of the way. Felt bad though when I got over 65 so I kept the cruise control at about 62-63.

Now I bought the Envoy just to hold me over until I can find a tow vehicle I really want and can afford. What I'm looking at in order of preference:

Volvo XC90 with a V8 - Do not get the T6 model whatever you do. The V8 is the best, but the 3.2 is ok too. I know volvos.

Lexus GX470 - Fantasic SUV on the same frame as the 4Runner.

Toyota 4Runner Limited - Really looking for the V8, but I know the V6 will do the job also. Son in law and daughter has one and it's a really nice car.

BMW X5 with a 4.4L V8 - Know next to nothing about this vehicle, but of the ones listed they are the easiest to find.

Honda Ridgeline - This is a 4 door shot bed pick up truck.

The BMW and Honda are both kind of far down the line. Really looking for Volvo XC90 or Lexus GX470.

Hope this helps.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats. You've come to the right place for advice. However, you should know (and have probably discovered by now) that nothing ignites posters' passions more quickly than a towing thread. More than one has been closed by the mods for that reason. I won't jump into the fray except to say this. You really need to ask yourself some searching questions regarding your vehicle preferences. For instance, you're prejudiced against full sized SUVs and trucks, which is certainly your prerogative, but you need to determine exactly why, and in order to do that you need the benefit of experience. Before you dismiss them out of hand take the time to drive a few and take a long hard look at their capabilities as compared to mid-size and small SUVs and crossovers. A tow vehicle can meet all your established criteria, but if it's not up to the task you'll have constant frustration, premature major mechanical issues, and safety concerns. Whether you're in Florida or Appalachia you're still going to have people lock up their brakes in front of you, and you're still going to have to ask your tow vehicle to work extra hard when you're towing, so priority one is being sure the one you choose is sufficient. I guess what I'm saying is you might want to broaden the scope of your search and reconsider what's acceptable to you. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.