Smallest vehicle to pull 18-19' boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Smallest vehicle to pull 18-19' boat?

this thread is nearly a year old

Well now I really don't see an issue with that. OP started the thread July 2010, and though has only 6 total posts (all in this thread), last posted just yesterday, and obviously has not yet gotten a tow vehicle. I think a lot of threads get pulled/locked too early myself, but I digress...

My larger issue is that this thread started getting ugly about pg 3 with the US vs. Japan/foreign stuff. I see enough of that crap on car forums.

OK now for some contribution; OP said budget was upwards of $20k, wants to tow around 3500lb for short trips over fairly flat terrain, and must be smaller than full-sized. I am researching vehicles very similar in requirement and price to the OP (I have a thread on this, thanks for the help from this forum). I personally used to be of the "gotta be body on frame to tow" camp; Automakers as of around 2007/2008 no longer seem to believe this, as they have gone to (or are going to) unibody construction for just about everything smaller than full-sized. This apparently puts many crossovers/small SUV's into play, both domestic and foreign (however you choose to define those terms), with published tow ratings in the 3500 to 5000+ lb range.

I for one am very interested in seeing what the OP winds up with, both boat and tow vehicle.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

OP ............ last posted just yesterday,

oops I missed that..... honestly tho these threads ALWAYS go silly...... the answer it REALLY simple...... Find the actual weight of the item you wish to tow... (3500 lbs?) Purchase a vehicle with that rating or higher... Just about every manufacturer has something that will fit that bill.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

and a towing capacity a couple thousand pounds over the weight of your boat, motor, trailer and other cargo.

This is not really accurate unless you're towing something in the neighborhood of 15,000 lbs. You shouldn't tow more than 90% of rated capacity as a rule of thumb...provides a margin of safety.

catfishwv

Seaman Apprentice

Just don't use a dodge dakota. I have a 16ft bassboat and it sucks going up hill. already replaced the tranny on the truck. and it still doesnt help. v6 motor I should have gotten a v8

74SuperJeep

Recruit

There is nothing wrong with a modern domestic. The quality is getting much better. The image is still there from the 90's and before. Vehicles built after 05-06 are very good and the new 2011 stuff is remarkable. Cost of maintenance/parts is lower as well.

Whatever you do don't buy a toyota truck. There frames rot in half! There has been a huge recall even before the accelerator issues. Funny you don't hear about that.

my .02

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh great, now we've started the brand bashing. This thread will definitely never end now....... Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.