Boat & trailer weights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat & trailer weights

Shopping for my first boat and Im trying to limit my search to sizes of boats I can realistically pull with my 2005 Xterra. The X is rated to 5000lbs, it has a manual trans upgraded brakes and air bags on the rear as I do tow a small utility trailer with it now.

Are there any good resources for looking up the weight of boats? Is it listed on the boat anywhere?

Re: Boat & trailer weights

Unless you are towing short distances, there is no way I would tow 5000# with that vehicle. Wheelbase is WAY too short. Is 5000# with a manual transmission?
    1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
    Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
    Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
    "Common sense is not very common"
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

This is one way to find out. ( Just an example)

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...R&d=1600071953

You have to just kinda cruise around and find the model you are looking at with the NADA site. There may be better resources out there though. One additionally needs to figure in the weight of the trailer , fuel and gear.
      A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money

Comment

If you use the NADA guides, as suggested above, make sure that you pay attention to if the motor is included in the boat weight. Some are, some aren't, and some include a motor that may be smaller than what you have.

And, as mentioned, you also have to add in fuel, cooler, gear, etc.
        Geeco
        1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700
        1988 Force 85 hp
        Restoration Thread https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=383916

Comment

And the trailer is not included either.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

I towed a 4000# boat/trailer once as a test run with a Chevy Blazer that was also rated for 5000#. It was not fun.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

I have no intention of pulling a boat weighing near 5000lbs. The Xterra weighs just over 4000 lbs and is a short wheelbase as mentioned. I'd like to stay under 3500lbs on the boat/trailer total weight. Im looking at 18/19ft boats and estimating the trailer weights 1000lbs?

Comment

You should be ok at 3500#. I would definitely double check the tow ratings with a manual transmission. Often they are a lot lower with a manual.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

Originally posted by adub View Post
                  I have no intention of pulling a boat weighing near 5000lbs. The Xterra weighs just over 4000 lbs and is a short wheelbase as mentioned. I'd like to stay under 3500lbs on the boat/trailer total weight. Im looking at 18/19ft boats and estimating the trailer weights 1000lbs?
                  That size range should be in the ballpark, weight-wise. My 17' bowrider weighs less than 2000# with trailer. A boat with an outboard will usually weigh a little less than a comparable one with an I/O.
                  Bob, Seneca Lake NY
                  '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                  '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
                  Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                  Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

I think you're in the ballpark with your weight estimate. I used to pull a 21' Pro-Line walkaround cuddy. Dry weight of the boat was 2200 lbs. Motor, fuel and 'stuff' pushed the weight to about 3000. My tandem axle Shoreland'r trailer weighed 1200 lbs.

No experience with an Xterra, tho- I was driving a 1/2 ton pickup.

Good luck!
                    John and Linda
                    Long Island, NY
                    Escapade III
                    1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
                    Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

I agree with your thought process. I've a 05 Pathfinder, which is the XTerra's bigger brother and I'm towing a 5000# boat/trailer. While the Pathfinder get's it done, it's at it's limits. I'm very very reluctant to tow any distance at all and most of my tows are less than 20 miles. Were it not for good trailer brakes, I wouldn't think of towing this thing.

Comment

The boat Im looking at right now shows up on NADA as 2300lbs, but thats with a V6 and this boat is a V8. I figure 2500lbs plus trailer and gear. Probably go a bit over 3500, but under 4000.

Comment

For trailer weights, EZ Loader has an online brochure that is really helpful. Specification charts start on page 9.

Just look at the style (bunk or roller), number of axles, length and capacity. The "shipping weight" for the trailer should be pretty close to what you are looking for.
                          Boatless

My Google Map
                          BoatingWinnebago.com

Comment

The boat Im looking at right now shows up on NADA as 2300lbs, but thats with a V6 and this boat is a V8. I figure 2500lbs plus trailer and gear. Probably go a bit over 3500, but under 4000.
                            I'd highly recommend working trailer brakes, then.

With your shorter wheelbase, towing any distance in a cross wind....well let's just say you'll know it's behind you. You're going to be near the limit of the Xterra's comfortable ability. Keep this in mind when you load up everything for the tow. Add gas and ice etc as late in the tow as possible.

Comment

I am new to this game and have not purchased any boat yet, but I plan to tow with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which has the 5.7 L 8 cylinder Hemi with a tow package rated to 7400 lbs.

I though this would be a robust vehicle for towing, any problems that I should look out for?

Comment

Working...
                              X