Boat Behind Travel Trailer

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Before we get interested in upgrading from tents to a Travel Trailer...
-Missouri
-2005 Durango
-15' Tri-hull
-Looking to drive up to 300 mi one-way

I looked at http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm from the sticky, and it appears that it is legal to tow two trailers in Missouri with my Class F license. I've done some iboats forum searching and not found a lot of info regarding the how-tos (maybe there's a reason). We're looking at picking up a Travel Trailer in the 20' range. My question is, if it's legal, how does one tow a boat behind a Travel Trailer? Is there a tow package add-on to the TT?

Our sucks option is to get a hitch for the minivan to haul the boat and take two vehicles... but that raises another set of problems.

Thanks again,
CHAD

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Behind Travel Trailer

I believe the travel trailer must be a fifth-wheel in order to pull a boat or other trailer behind it.

My dad had one for a while, couldn't stand pulling the double trailers. Sold the rig and bought a large camper for his F-450 and was a lot happier

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe the travel trailer must be a fifth-wheel in order to pull a boat or other trailer behind it.

My dad had one for a while, couldn't stand pulling the double trailers. Sold the rig and bought a large camper for his F-450 and was a lot happier

There are weight restrictions and depends from state to state, but it doesn't always have to be a fifth-wheel!

If you've checked your laws and it's legal then make sure you have the right gearing, trailer brakes on the TT, and a good knowledge of towing.

My family has been pulling a bumper pull 19' camper with a double jet ski trailer behind that has the extra locker on board as well. We tow from Colorado Springs, CO to Ogallala, NE (around 300 miles) every year for the past 25 years! No problems since we got the Jet Skis back in '94. Towed currently with a 2005 F250 Superduty.

I have towed a 14' camper and my '74 Glastron behind my '87 Suburban 1500 in the same fashion twice. Don't let anyone discourage you. Only problem may be in your tow vehicle choice.

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been searching for an hour and can't find specifics, so I just now called the MO Highway Patrol HQ in town and asked the officer if it's legal to tow a boat behind a travel trailer. He said he sees that all the time. He put me on hold to check it, then came back and said as long as you're under the height and length restrictions, and have working lights and whatnot, then it's OK. I specifically asked about a Durango towing a TT, towing a boat. I should have just called to begin with...

CHAD

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to hear that Chad. I would still be careful about stopping with that vehicle and make sure you get brakes for your TT to help you stop! It's legal, but is it preferred if you're not set up for it?

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't let anyone discourage you. Only problem may be in your tow vehicle choice.

What trouble might I have with the Durango? It's rated something like 8500lbs towing, and I plan to keep it 20% under that amount.

CHAD

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

it's a brake issue! You will burn your brakes up fast if you don't get a trailer with trailer brakes..........

That Durango may be rated for 8500lbs but it's for a short period of time, NOT continuous.

Just be careful and make sure it's set up for it! Or be prepared for an accident when you're brakes go out.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The Durango transmission may not handle it for long either.
No way i would pull that setup with a mid-size SUV.
Short wheelbase will get you too...If it ever starts to sway going down the road you are in a fix...:eek:

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Up here in Alberta Canada the first trailer must be a 5 wheel in order to pull a second but I would bet that would be the same restriction down there.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Up here in Alberta Canada the first trailer must be a 5 wheel in order to pull a second but I would bet that would be the same restriction down there.

depends on state... some are 5th wheel only, some require electrically activated trailer brakes on one or both trailers

also, this is one of those things that you WILL get nailed for if you drive through a state where your current setup isn't legal. doesn't matter that the state you started in allows it, it is your job to ensure it is legal in all states you drive through.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

should be interesting, these are the states that limit towing to a fifth wheel

With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Manitoba (maximum length 23m.) and Saskatchewan

Then there is some other restrictions, Mo: Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.

Brake laws are not stated for MO. but I suggest your heaviest vehicle havd brakes. Jack knifing is not fun

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Forgive my naivete, but why would the Durango transmission not be able to handle a ~5000lb trailer load? It has the tow/haul switch that changes the transmission shifting rpms.

Thanks for the wise words. Agreed the electronic brakes would be a necessity for the TT.

CHAD

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Forgive my naivete, but why would the Durango transmission not be able to handle a ~5000lb trailer load? It has the tow/haul switch that changes the transmission shifting rpms.

Thanks for the wise words. Agreed the electronic brakes would be a necessity for the TT.

CHAD

What Engine/gear ratio setup are you running?

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

2005 SLT AWD 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 ratio. I just looked, as I'm reading up on some Dodge forums too.

CHAD

edit* Just found http://www.trailerboats.com/towrati...model=Durango+SLT+4WD&min_tlimit=&max_tlimit= where it says my setup has a tow rating of 7150lbs

Ok, with that Combo, I feel better. I had a Dodge 1500, with the 318 v8, 33" tires and 4.10 gears. Did pretty good towing about I towed a 65 mustang on a big heavy car hauler trailer across country. I did ok, but I wouldn't have wanted to double up..no way.

Like everybody has said, leave it out of overdrive, and make sure you have electric brakes on the TT. And I would be very cautious with your speed..with that small of a tow rig, you wouldn't want the tail to start wagging the dog.:eek:

reelfishin

Captain

A buddy of mine has a 4 door dually Chevy with an 8.1L engine, plus a slide in camper, hitch extension, and tows a 28'+ tag along camper, plus flat tows a car behind the camper. He spends his 5 weeks of vacation each year traveling around with that rig. He's yet to have any issues with getting stopped, but obviously backing up is not an option. He did say he had a few cases where he needed to leave the car behind and pull the camper into the mountains and stop back for the car but mostly that was due to snow or narrow mountain roads in a few locations. A boat on a trailer will tow far better than a car on a tow bar. I would test it out a bit before tackling a big trip though just to get used to the way it handles and stops.

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks again everyone for continued advice.

Is there a specific type of hitch that goes on the back of the travel trailer?

CHAD

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I would suggest talking to the travel trailer manufacturers, they will know best about how much the trailer can pull and what type and how a hitch should be installed.

Remember, whatever you put on the back of the trailer needs to transfer directly to the hitch on your truck

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My 2007 30 foot travel trailer states no more than 250 lbs on the rear bumper.
I would imagine that you would require a frame mounted receiver type hitch on the travel trailer.

I was talking about the Durango tranny because i have known a few people who had problems with them.
I hope you do have the factory tow package with trans cooler and oil cooler.
Also the travel trailer will require a weight distribution hitch.

I have the Reese dual cam sway control setup on mine and it was worth every penny.
I think the complete hitch setup was about 1000 bucks but it was the best that Reese had to offer.
70 mph with not a bit of sway.