Surge Trailer Brake Maintenance

duramax07tmd

Cadet
What kind of maintenance do i need to do with my boat trailer with surge brakes?

I just bought the boat and trailer this week. Do i need to check or change the fluid for the surge brakes?

Also, is there any adjustments that i can do to change how much the trailer brakes when braking?

Thanks!

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Surge Trailer Brake Maintenance

Best thing to do is pick up a couple cans of brake clean, some new seals, a can of brake fluid, and some high temp grease.

Then clean up the brake pads, drums, and the whole inside. You may have to sand a little if things rusty. Make sure the brake adjuster is nice and free, along with the rest of the movable brake components.

Clean up and repack the bearings. Replacing if even a remote bit questionable.

Remove the old brake fluid and flush the daylights out of the lines and cylinders.

Install the drums and adjust the brakes until the just drag, then back off a click.

Torque the lugs (about 90ftlbs depending upon the rig) and run the tires at the max side wall pressure.

If the tires are weather check, they need replacing. "ST" "C" rate radials are best, but if you're running 12's, then we're pretty much stuck with "ST" bias plys. Again, depending upon you rig.

Surge brakes should be flushed seasonally or every other at a minimum. Otherwise the rust will turn to mud and clog everything up.

All of this should be done to any "new to you" trailer. "In God we trust. All others we check". Then periodically as preventative maintenance.

If everything is up to par, the brakes with work fine on their own. There's no bias adjustment that I'm aware of.

Congrats on your new boat!:)