What Oil To Use For Oil Bath Hubs?

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going on a ~500 mile round trip soon with my EZ trailer and boat.

I've taken the boat out only 3 times this year , but I noticed the other day, there might be water in the hubs and a possible slow leak. I forgot where the oil level was on it last year. But both sides, the oil levels are exactly the same....

Anyways, manual states 50w oil, or 90w gear oil.

I have some Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil on hand. I was hoping to use that if I could.
But I would probably be more comfortable getting something closer to the spec recommendation.

I know Amsoil has a 80w-90 gear oil.
They also have a "Marine" 75w-90/80w-90 mixture.

If I remember correctly, my local West Marine has 90w gear oil,but it's some brand I've never heard of.

Suggestions?

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What Oil To Use For Oil Bath Hubs?

Yes you can use that

The 75w is the weight classification of the oil at room temp and the 90 means it will have the properties of a 90 weight when it heats up.

Motor oil is the same ie 5w30 make it easier for the motor to start but when heat and friction starts the oil gets thicker to stick better/longer.

cribber

Lieutenant

I use Mobil 1 75w-90 and haven't had a problem with my EZ Loader trailer. I keep mine filled about 3/4 of the way up so the oil level just hits the top of the Reliable emblem embossed on the hub.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use 75W90 synthetic and it works great. Autozone or Advanced Auto should have plenty of it. I've also got clear hub covers so I can see inside the hub without tearing anything apart. Good luck!

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use Mobil 1 75w-90 and haven't had a problem with my EZ Loader trailer. I keep mine filled about 3/4 of the way up so the oil level just hits the top of the Reliable emblem embossed on the hub.

Yeah, that's the thing. Both sides of mine right now, are right at the halfway mark.

I could have sworn last year when I read the PDF from EZ, it said to put it in the middle. But when I just looked at it earlier, it says top of the logo.

That's my reasoning as to a possible leak. But I'm not 100% sure. I guess I'll take the bottle of oil with me on my trip.

woosterken

Lieutenant

i used 90 weight in the oil bath hubs on my semi trailers.
they had the little plug in the center of the cap , and i kept the oil right at the bottom of the opening.
you can pick up 90 at any truck stop

woosterken