proper position of motor

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been in the middle of a couple of friends as to the position of the motor when trailering the boat. The boat in question is a 20 ft pontoon with a 40hp Johnson and the boat is trailered with a transom saver in place. and the motor has a manual tilt.

Friend #1 says: The tilt assist lever should be left in the tilt position while trailering.
Friend #2 says: The tilt assist lever should be in the locked position while trailering.

What are you guys opinion??

Thanks

KEEP IT FUN....KEEP IT SAFE

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: proper position of motor

It should not be necessary to use a transom saver on a pontoon. The best way to tow is with the motor straight down. If there is danger that the motor could strike a curb or drag on a gas station or parking lot driveway entrance, then it should be raised for travel. But if there is a foot or more of clearance the transom saver is not necessary. If you do use it, raise the motor only as much as necessary to obtain desired clearance. The tilt lock is not designed for highway travel but the transom saver is.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It should not be necessary to use a transom saver on a pontoon. The best way to tow is with the motor straight down. If there is danger that the motor could strike a curb or drag on a gas station or parking lot driveway entrance, then it should be raised for travel. But if there is a foot or more of clearance the transom saver is not necessary. If you do use it, raise the motor only as much as necessary to obtain desired clearance. The tilt lock is not designed for highway travel but the transom saver is.

Okay, I was wondering about that. So, 90hp merc with PT&T is best towed straight down? Wasn't sure if it would put too much stress on the pod.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I was not clear with my question....When the transom saver is used, should the trim assist lever be in the locked (down) position or in the unlocked (tilt) position??
The argument got started when one made the statement that if you did not lock the engine in place, even with the transom saver, the vibration and bouncing would cause the tilt assist cylinder to get hot and fail prematurely.

thanks

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You were clear. I just hijacked the thread for my own personal gratification.;) Sorry I can't answer your question, but someone will eventually.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you are trailering with the motor down, leave it unlocked so that if you hit something the motor will tilt.
There's no need for a transom saver with the motor down.
Many people believe there is no need for one with the motor up, either. Others advocate a block-type device that keeps the weight/movement on the mount rather than transferring it to the trailer.
Pug if you have manual tilt you don't have cylinders to worry about.
The bouncing on a highway and the bouncing on the water are about the same as far as wear and tear goes.
You can trailer a 40 on the tilt bracket (I assume by "tilt lock" you mean the lock that holds the motor DOWN while in operation. The "tilt bracket" holds it UP when moored or trailering).
All the manufacturers AFAIK now say don't trailer on the the tilt bracket. I have asked around and have yet to hear of a bracket failing. I have trailered my 70 for 22 years on the bracket, no problem. I think the manufacturers are being overly cautious, but I won't opine as to motors at 200 HP +.
As with everything boating, it depends on circumstances. For smooth road travel I wouldn't think twice about using the bracket no matter how far, and would not waste money on a transom saver. Maybe different for a long haul on a bad dirt road, or Jersey streets.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I guess I was not clear with my question....When the transom saver is used, should the trim assist lever be in the locked (down) position or in the unlocked (tilt) position??
The argument got started when one made the statement that if you did not lock the engine in place, even with the transom saver, the vibration and bouncing would cause the tilt assist cylinder to get hot and fail prematurely.

thanks

Nope, the hydraulic cylinders will NOT get hot. There is no movement, no fluid, they really don't care that you are trying to press down on them. The reason for the tilt lock is because the hydraulic system will eventually bleed down. if you absolutely need the motor to stay up for an extended length of time, you have to use the lock.

In your case, neither applies. You have the transom saver (not needed) which is supposed to support the motor. If you have it on the cylinders or tilt lock, the saver isn't doing anything for you anyway.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat in question DOES have a cylinder, which I assume is a hydraulic assist in lowering the motor to keep someone from droping it down into the "run" position and possibly breaking something. We are aware of the tilt lock that rotates down to lock the motor in the tilt position. The lever in question is one that is on the right side of the mounting bracket. If the lever is in the "down" position you cannot move the engine. If it is in the "tilt" position the motor can eaisly be moved up or down.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

leave it unlocked, then, in case you hit something. Do the same in shallow water. You really don't need to lock it down unless you do a lot of high-speed reversing. Which you shouldn't do anyway.

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You were clear. I just hijacked the thread for my own personal gratification.;) Sorry I can't answer your question, but someone will eventually.

:)post *****:)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

What can I say? I'm easy, but I ain't cheap.;)

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys..I guess it all boils down to personal preference and after all is said and done both of them were partly right and partly wrong. I'm going to show them all your suggestions and great words of advise and wisdom.....Shucks I might even get them started up again..........They are both great guys but would argue with a sign!

Thanks again

KEEP IT FUN...KEEP IT SAFE!