Finding the VIN on an EZ Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyA

Cadet
Hello fellow stink boaters! I have browsed this forum many times and found loads of valuable information but this is my first request for info. I just bought a used 16' Tiderunner with an EZ loader trailer, but when I went to get the title for the trailer transfered, the DOL said there were two titles for the registered VIN number. They said I have to get the VIN number verified by the state patrol. My question is this: Where can I find the VIN on the trailer? I would like to verify it for myself before I take it to the State Patrol. The title says it's a 1976 trailer. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Finding the VIN on an EZ Loader

there should be a plate on the trailer. it should have the vin, load rating, etc.

studlymandingo

Commander

Don't know about that vintage, but I have a 1992 EZ-Loader. The VIN number was on a decal on the trailer, keyword WAS. Luckily here in FL they are not too strict on the VIN, bill of sale allows you to get registration. Let the state patrol try and find one, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck!

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually close to the front of the trailer on the inside of the beam.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I have a 90's EZ-loader, and the VIN was on a decal, too. And like Dingo above, the decal is now gone! I haven't seen anywhere else, a ID plate or stamped into the frame, in all the years I've owned it. The decal was originally located on the tongue of the trailer, just behind the receiver. Being an older trailer, it might have a plate, but would expect it to be located where it should be easily found. Contact the mfg with the exact model, and they should be able to help. They might have a hidden VIN location, to help fight theft.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If your state requires a title and plates, the VIN will be indicated on those documents.

BradyA

Cadet

I have the title, the problem is that the state issued two titles for the same VIN. They are requiring me to have the trailer inspected to make sure the VIN on my trailer matches the VIN on the title. If not, I imagine they would just issue a title for the VIN on my trailer and destroy the incorrect title. I'm just mad I have to take the time to drive an hour and a half to the nearest inspection station. For something that is the state's fault.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get a set of number punches and punch the VIN matching the title into the beam. Then dirty it up so it doesn't look new.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My trailer is a 1993 Load Rite that I titled as new and registered in PA in September 1993. Always had current registration, so it never expired. In 2004 I didn’t get any renewal notice, so I contacted DOT about it. They told me that they cancelled my registration. When I asked why they said it was because someone had imported a trailer from Delaware with the same VIN so they gave a registration to them and cancelled mine. I had to prove that my VIN was correct in order to get my registration back. I used JBs method because the decal on my trailer was gone. After submitting the info three times because it was lost twice, and getting my state representative involved I finally got new tags at the end of summer. Fortunately most of my towing is in VA and I didn’t get checked for trailer registration all summer.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would think that if States require correct VINS, then trailer MFG's should be required by law to have a Permanent VIN placed on the trailer.

jsabatula

Cadet

Hey G daddy <br /><br /><br />It took me 3 and a half months here to get a vin plate in Pa 1 senator 1 representative 1 state police officer two local notaries one secretary of transportation one inspection mechanic and also one local scrap yard to weigh trailer with boat on it and without . what a freaking joke!!!!!! I finally got it done myself the people at the dmv are dumber than squirrels. every time I talked to someone you needed something different you have to go to the adminstration headquarters . if all boat trailers were like this I would never get another boat again I would find a buddy with one. lol<br />The Dmv just doesn't understand some people just gota fish or go boating. good luck in your adventure I know my was a waste of time and money.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Connecticut trailers under 3000# GVW do not need to be titled. However my ez loader numbers sticker had faded so it could not be read. I took it to the DMV inspector with my bill of sale and he said since it did not have brakes I would need to get it weighed so I got a temp plate went to the truckstop got 2980# weight ticket. went back for final inspection and was given a new sticker with a new official # from the state of CT. Over 3000# I don't know what would have happened. By the way I sold ez loaders and I know those stickers all faded over the years.

Zaairman

Seaman Apprentice

My 1999 EZ Load trailer HAD the decal too. It's still there, just without any visible words on it. It's nice and shiny though :rolleyes:

jaxhome

Recruit
Re:How to find the VIN on an EZ Loader

Re:How to find the VIN on an EZ Loader

I called EZ Loader customer service and they provided two places where a 5 digit number is stamped on the trailer. If you provide them with those 5 numbers, they'll provide you with the complete 17 digit serial number.
The easiest place to look is on the starboard side rail, on top, right behind where the hitch is welded on. It's also stamped on the metal of the winch base.

WindyWay

Recruit
Well my trailer is a 1988 model, no sticker, and no stamped VIN #'s anywhere! I have the registration with the original (I hope) VIN #'s. What a way to manufacture a trailer! I wrote to EZ-Loader for a new sticker prior to registering into my name (just purchased). We'll have to see what they say...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I think this is a record. First post was 17 years ago. Next to last post was 13 years ago....and now TODAY!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.