Question about trailer license laws.

wyweb

Recruit
When I registered my boat I was told that so long as the trailer load was less than 2,000 pounds there was no requirement to get it tagged. When I asked about travelling through other states that required license tags on trailers, I was told that I would be subject to the laws of each individual state. This means I could be ticketed and fined for not having a trailer license tag in another state, even though my own state didn't require it.<br /><br />A few weeks ago I called the county treasurer's office to find out what I needed to do in order to get the trailer tagged and they told me it wasn't necessary, that all I had to do was carry a copy of my state's trailer laws with me when travelling through other states and that it would get me out of any ticket they might give me.<br /><br />So now I've got conflicting information from two official sources and really don't know what to think. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about trailer license laws.

get a tag and quit worrying. they are not that expensive. in Florida the are not title but it is a $200 fine for not being tagged. even a masonary cantractor towing a mortar mixer.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Well I live in Wisconsin and We don't require trailer tags.............which is nice.<br /><br />I would have no worries trailering anywhere. I HIGHLY doubt another state could ticket you, given the fact that your boat and vehicle arent registered in their state, so why should they care. They can't make you register in their state because you dont live there and they cant make you register in your state because yours doesnt do that. I wouldnt worry about it. Follow the laws where you live and you should be fine.

SpinnerBait_Nut

No trailer tags here in Ky. either.<br />I get stopped everytime I go thru Ga. though for no trailer tags and I just tell them Ky. don't require then, but they have to check anyway.<br /><br />If your state says no tags is needed, either get ya some or go fishing and have a good day and not worry about it.

JB

Howdy, wyweb,<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />The treasurer is correct. Your trailer only needs to meet the laws of your state of residence and the state that your tow vehicle is licensed in.<br /><br />Good luck, and . . .

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Montana used to have no driver's licenses. People traveling to other states were being hassled and even arrested for not having a license. So Montana created one. I'm guessing this means you COULD be ticketed for not having plates also.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by SwampNut:<br /> Montana used to have no driver's licenses. People traveling to other states were being hassled and even arrested for not having a license. So Montana created one. I'm guessing this means you COULD be ticketed for not having plates also.
I think that drivers licenses and trailer registration are kind of apples to oranges to be honest with you...........I see what you are getting at though, its just an actual drivers license seems a little more necessary JMHO

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Plate laws are reciprocal between states, your state doesn't require it, so you don't need it for other states. Weight and size and number of trailers are a different story, each state has its own regulations and you will have to abide by each states regulations.

tashasdaddy

it's just easier to put a tag on it, than go thru the hassle, 30 minutes delay. and not have to wonder if your going to get stopped.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by tashasdaddy:<br /> it's just easier to put a tag on it, than go thru the hassle, 30 minutes delay. and not have to wonder if your going to get stopped.
Why waste the time and the money every year? unless you have to.......

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I lived in Kansas, trailers under a specific wt didn't need tags or registration. There are quite a few states that are the same. Because of this, most law enforcement officers are aware. I hauled tagless trlrs with KS tags on the tow vehicle to the east coast and back without being stopped and I know the cops I passed weren't blind. Besides, if your state doesn't tag your size trlr u have no way of tagging it even if u wanted to.