Towing with a Ford Escape

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello,<br /><br />I think I'm ok here but I just want to get an idea from people who know better than I do.<br /><br />I'm looking at towing a 1962 Boston Whaler Nauset with my Ford Escape with 4WD and the factory tow package. I think it's rated for 300 LBS tounge weight and hauling 3,500 LBS.<br /><br />Will it be safe? Will I need any brakes on the trailer?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Josh

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Towing with a Ford Escape

?? How much does the boat,motor, trailer, fuel, and gear weigh. And remember that your tow weight includes the weight of the passengers and gear in your Escape.<br /><br />What year is your Escape??<br /><br />VA law says you need brakes if you tow more than 3000#, but I would sure want them if I towed more than 1500# with a light Escape.<br /><br />The 2005 Duratec 23 is rated for 1500#.<br />The 2005 Duratec 30 is rated for 3500#, when properly equiped.<br /><br />For 2004 models:<br />Max towing capacity, properly equipped<br /><br />Zetec<br />1000<br /><br />Duratec<br />2000<br /><br />Duratec w/Towing Pkg.<br />3500<br /><br />I would stop by a dealer and have them verify the tow limits, and have an oil and tranny cooler installed if you don't already have them.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was heading up to the cottage on 400 highway, Guy passed me at about 130kph(80mph) towing a 23 foot Four Winns with a Ford Escape, with Ohio tags, I'm not saying thats O.K would have liked to have seen him trying to stop, anyway I think your Escape will handle your Whaler just fine if you have the correct tow package.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, JSFinn.<br /><br />Your Whaler package should weigh just under 2,000# ready for the road.<br /><br />If your Escape is the Duratec (V6) with towing package you should be okay.<br /><br />If you do not have the towing package you are too close to limit and could seriously harm your vehicle drive train.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a Duratec V6 with the factory tow package which does include an oil/trans cooler.<br /><br />The current owner tows it with a little 4wd Suzuki Samurai with a 4 inch lift.<br /><br />Thanks, everyone.<br /><br />I've got another question about fenders, but I'll post that in a new thread so we don't get off topic.