winch cable coated or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
how many of you guys use coated cable on your trailer winches? It seemed to me that it would last longer weather wise as it wouldnt rust as fast. Another thing how thick of a cable do you use for your size boat. And one more how do you hook the hook onto the cable? with the 3 u-bolts or with those new slide crimp jobs? Sorry for all the questions just been running this thru my mind.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: winch cable coated or not?

My latest boat came with a strap that works well. Just a little care to keep it flat as it rolls in. <br />Any other boat trailer I've owned has had galvanized cable. I'm not sure how the ends were attached or the size. I seem to remember a swaged eye at the hook. <br /> <br />Coated cable may hold water in & promote corrosion, but I have no experience.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My cable is not coated and hasn't rusted in 24 years. If the coating gets punctured and develops a leak, the coating will hold the moisture and facilitate rust. Kind of like if you don't wash your shovel after digging, the dirt holds the moisture to the metal and cause it to rust instead of dry.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I'd get a strap instead of a cable. I used to have cables for many years, now have straps and like them a lot better. Just seem to work more smoothly, are more likely to spot weakening before sudden snap, and if it does snap, I'd rather be hit by a broad nylon strap than a thin, frayed steel cable.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah but, the straps break easier. I never broke a cable, but the straps, I can break. They are more convienient though as the cable wires break one strand at a time then you run them into your hand & it don't feel to good, kind of like a needle running up one of your fingers, as you jump up & down & holler "buckwheat," so everyone knows you are in pain. That's the only reason I went to straps. I may go back to the cable but coated this time, just to see. Sounds like a good idea to me. 'Cause the straps ain't that strong.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I prefer the straps, but forget about the ones that wal-mart sell they break, I got a 13000lb yellow strap a with snap hook at a industrial supply store, you know a place that sell nuts and bolts has big has your head, they sell big beefie straps also.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought a new trailer last year for my boat and it came with the the cable strap. It's the second cable strap I've used (one on another boat) and I like it better than the cable. Had a cable on another older boat. However, the new trailer did come with safety "cables" instead of chains, and they are coated cables and after one year they are starting to rust because of moisture getting inside the coated part.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. I've broken several cables, coated and not coated, but never broke a strap.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've only broke one strap, I got it at K-Mart. That's probably why it broke. I like the Northern Eclipse idea. I think I'll just look for a heavy duty strap like he does. I really don't care for the cables either. Thanks NE.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never heard of using a strap before that sounds like a good idea. I would rather get whipped with a broke strap then cut open by a rusty piece of steel cable. Every time I crank the boat in I worry about that cable even though its new.

b.gagnon

I have used all 3…As far as the coated cable goes, don’t do it. Within one season the coating started coming off and started causing a tangled mess inside the winch.<br />The standard cable is always a good call; it has been used for eons. If you buy a good quality galvanized one you should not have rot problems. As far as the strap goes they work well but when they break they don’t give much warning. If you have a real big heavy boat I would go with the cable, if small go with the strap. They wind up nice and even and are cheep!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I have never use any of them. I have always used nylon rope for my relatively small boat. Never broke one yet and replace about every 8 years. I'll admit, if it ever does break, it'll probably knock the bejeebers out of me.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ditto strap. never worry if it winds back on the<br />crank straight and stronger than rope. have used<br />steel cables and they get gnarled easy...

ericm

Cadet

Don't forget the stainless steel cables! I have galvanized but the stainless look pretty good. Maybe they don't fray as much and stick your fingers.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I prefer to use the strap on my winch however this year much to my surprise it let loose! The sewn threads that held the hook on let go. Rather snappy going past me... (also sent the boat into Launch mode right back into the lake) so I tied the strap on with a knot. <br /><br />If I had to choose I would rather be slapped with the breaking strap than a snapping cable...far less blood.<br /><br />I guess I will replace it next season.<br /><br />Bob

wayne h

straps are very nice but do requier inspection closer then a cable. you know when a cable is bad when you cut your finger haha. i change my winch strap every 3 seasons they are pretty cheap and lets face it alot of us use them to hold the boat on the trailer while trailering although i hope every 1 out there uses a strap also. but i have seen people just using the winch.the strap winds up alot nicer. and like other people said requier less stickes when they brake

rwidman

Lieutenant

I second the use of a strap. And as for breaking, a strap will do less damage to your body than a frayed steel cable! :(

SPAMMER

Plastic-coated steel cables have many types, have good and normal types, so think before buying to fit the needs of use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Straps are great until the sun destroys them. They break quite suddenly. Nylon rope is pretty good, but stretches a bit.

Coated cable will trap moisture and rust out. Galvanized cable is the way to go. Make sure the ends are clamped very well.

Stainless steel cable is marginally better than galvanized for trailer winches, but has much higher cost.

Buy 1 size larger cable than you need, and it will last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.