Tie down at bow eye???

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
The bow of the boat "bounces" off the bow stop when going over bumps. It was bouncing up as much as 3 or 4 inches. I stopped and checked the winch for tighness (the strap goes under the bow stop), and then moved the boat tie down from behind the trailer tires to in front. This seemed to help some. I called the trailer dealer and he said to add a tie down from the bow eye directly down to the trailer. Does this sound right?

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tie down at bow eye???

The winch is only meant to help launching and retrieving the boat. Its not meant for securing the boat on the trailer (although a lot of people use it for that).<br />I use a small ratchet strap directly from the bow eye to the trailer frame, as well as two ratchet transom hold-downs. If I'm going a long distance, I use an athwartship strap as well.<br />Another option would be to weld an upright bracket to your trailer frame, with a kind of clevis at the top, through which you would bolt the bow eye.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I also had a bouncing issue, so use a bow tie down as well as two transom tie downs. I started by just using a small ratchet strap hooked to the boat's bow eye and then looped around the tongue directly below. Now I have an eye (heavy chain link) welded onto the tongue just below the bow eye. You could also bolt an eye bolt through the tongue. I recently bought a US$10 tie down specifically made for the bow that has a lever-lock / quick lock and release type of buckle (like are common on transom straps). It has a fitting at one end that can be bolted directly to the frame, although I fastened it to my existing welded eye. I know Iboats, West Marine and Cabelas have similar products and would believe many other companies.<br /><br />The quick tighten/release type of buckle like this is much easier and neater than my original ratchet set up.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Why would the winch be any different than a ratcheting tie? Do they ever release themselves or something? I've never seen that, though I might be inclined to use a second tie if the trip was long or over rough roads. But I sometimes tend toward overkill anyway.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I took the advice and using a ratchet type strap tied the bow eye down to the tongue and went for a drive. Did not make the strap very tight, just snug. That ended all the bouncing. <br /><br />Thanks to all.<br /><br />Mark.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Bearcat Powered:<br /> Why would the winch be any different than a ratcheting tie? Do they ever release themselves or something? I've never seen that, though I might be inclined to use a second tie if the trip was long or over rough roads. But I sometimes tend toward overkill anyway.
The chance of the winch releasing is not the reason we're using the tie down. The safety chain is for that purpose. The bow tie down is actually perpendicular to the winch strap, so it can't really back up the winch strap if the winch ratchet releases. <br /><br />Instead, we're talking about a situation where the bow of the boat bounces up and down even though the winch is cranked up tight. <br /><br />Some set ups don't need a bow tie down because they don't bounce. I'm sure the situation is different for every boat/trailer for how the bow of the boat rests on the front roller or stop. <br /> <br />With my boat and trailer, the pressure / force of the winch strap and gravity don't exert enough downward pressure on the boat and therefore my boat bounces up and down (a little - just barely noticable). Therfore, a bow tie down, which pulls the bow straight down onto the front-most keel roller, prevents this bouncing. Because of the shape of the front end of my particular boat, I haven't found anything other than the tie down that solves this issue.<br /><br />I have a couple of friends who have completely different types of boat and trailers. Neither of them have bouncing issues if the winch strap is tight. Therefore they have no need for a bow tie-down.<br /><br />I do not think that my bow tie down is strong enough to actually keep the boat from leaving the trailer in a crash situation. It's just a little 1 inch strap. The super heavy duty transom tie downs and the bow safety chain would serve that purpose (HOPEFULLY!!!). The winch strap is also a factor, probably, but it's purpose in life really is to winch the boat onto the trailer, snug as far forward as it should go.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Good explanation, D.<br />I tend to visualize my rig's setup when hearing the description, which is obviously just different enough to make the difference. Like you said, they're not all the same.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have not seen the safety chain set up on any trailers around here, unless I did not recognize it. Where does it attach?

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

The one on my neighbor's new boat goes from right near the winch straight to the bow eye. Maybe 8 or 10 inches or so. My old boat never had this either.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I would consider a safety chain a necessity if you have a roller trailer. The winch strap or cable breaks and your boat is on the boat ramp in a hurry. I believe all four winns boats come with a rachet style tie down for the bow. Attach to the bow eye and a hook below it on the trailer. Keeps the bow down and you don't have to over tighten the winch strap. Which can cause failure and we are back the the safety chain issue.

snowshoe

Seaman

I had the same problem of the boat working loose from the winch mount bow stop on the old glass boat (in spite of the transom straps x2). I would have to stop and winch it back every 50 miles. I put a atv rachet strap from the bow eye to the winch mount frame and the boat did not move. I believe the boat bouncing away from the bow stop caused the trailer frame to crack about 1 foot behind the wheels. The welding shop fixed the trailer but I made sure the atv strap was secure after that.<br />The new boat has no problems working loose.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a length of chain that is tied and bolted to the trailer frame behind the bow eye, it comes up from behind and is then attached to the bow eye by a Shackle. The chain then goes forward and is once again tied around the main frame rail where the winch post attches, so Its like an upside down V with the point at the bow eye. It stops the boat from going up, forward, or backwards. Then I have a stainless steel 12" turnbuckle that I picked up on E-Bay for a few bucks. It pulls between the legs of the V. I tighten it up after I attach the chain with the shackle. Nothing moves anywhere. Costs $3 for the Shackle, about $20 worth of chain, and I think I paid about $10 for the stainless turnbuckle.<br /><br />Thom