Changing bulb on trailer lights

terrywilson88

Seaman Apprentice
I pulled the cover off so I could change the light bulb and there's a clear plastic cover over the light bulb. It looks kinda like a bubble over the bulb. How do I take this apart? Thanks guys

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Changing bulb on trailer lights

I pulled the cover off so I could change the light bulb and there's a clear plastic cover over the light bulb. It looks kinda like a bubble over the bulb. How do I take this apart? Thanks guys

I've seen a lot of trailers in my time...but I don't think that I have ever seen what you just described!

If nobody jumps in with an answer, maybe you could snap a picture?

Happy boating!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

They don't come apart. You have to replace the whole bulb.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He is correct. They are made to be water tight so when the bulb burns out you do have to replace the whole thing. I just changed a friends and was suggesting he go to LEDs. He told me that he had the boat and trailer for 7 years and this is the first time he has had to replace the fixture. So he didn't think that replacing them with LEDs were what he wanted to do. I would have opted to replace them with LEDs for the simple fact that they are brighter and are water proof. I guess it is up to you. I just like people to see my trailer at night.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

That's basically a waterproof capsule protecting the bulb. You change the complete unit inside the lens housing. Mine has these lights, made by Wesbar.
They make one for the right side and one for the left side.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5058

Interesting approach to submersible lighting! Like I said, I have never come across one of these.... I can see where an owner of these lenses would opt to replace the bulb(s).

Apparently, the 'right vs. left' only applies to the lens units...the bulb for either is the same number?

142r8k8.jpg

Nice detective work!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Wow, ya'll a lot faster than me in looking them up. I got tired of fooling with them and went to LED.

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just posted about this light assy. them I googled it and found the post.
is there a number for this assy ....I need one

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NONSENSE! You don't need to spend the big money to replace the capsule--if you are willing to do a little work. Use a very fine hacksaw blade and cut around the bottom of the clear capsule. replace the bulb and use a good plastic cement to reseal the capsule to the base.

Since I am tighter than a crab's a**, and that's water tight, I have done it once or twice on my Caulkins trailer. I just can't justify spending 11 bucks on a 1 dollar bulb. In fact, I am so tight that I re-use bulbs salvaged from junkyard autos and save that dollar too.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

NONSENSE! You don't need to spend the big money to replace the capsule--if you are willing to do a little work. Use a very fine hacksaw blade and cut around the bottom of the clear capsule. replace the bulb and use a good plastic cement to reseal the capsule to the base.

Since I am tighter than a crab's a**, and that's water tight, I have done it once or twice on my Caulkins trailer. I just can't justify spending 11 bucks on a 1 dollar bulb. In fact, I am so tight that I re-use bulbs salvaged from junkyard autos and save that dollar too.

:facepalm::facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Ahhh, fellas, this thread is almost 4 years old and needs to back where it came from, the archives.... :)